a few probs after my swap.,

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cstott282

a few probs after my swap.,

Post by cstott282 »

Hey everyone, i was looking for some help.. i recently put a Klde in my mx3, i replaced all gaskets and bearings, put in KLZE pistons, and Kl-31 cams, and i have headers and intake, im using an mx3 Ecu and VAF., now my problem is it likes to spit and sputter, and im not sure if its fuelpump?, Injectors, Timing, Distributor, any of you guys have any idea how i can trace this problem down, also i noticed that if im just crusing around in 5th gear at about 30mph ( low rpms) sometimes the car likes to buck and doesnt ride smooth.. any help would be awesome..
1990 protege lx-RIP
1992 Mazda 323,(BP swap JDM'd out y0!) ..sold.
1993 Mazda MX3 GS,(KLZE swap) RIP
1994 Mazda Miata ... project boosted!
1992 Mazda Mx3 GS, project clean daily driver
MgXs3

Re: a few probs after my swap.,

Post by MgXs3 »

you should use the klde ecu and vaf that might fix it.
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Is your cam timing on. Did you line up the marks on the cam sprockets? Did you check your ignition timing? Did you change your fuel filter? Checked all vac lines.
cstott282

Post by cstott282 »

well in the past couple days it has gotten really bad like it sounds like its running on 2 cyl until i hit the powerband then it pulls... so..
iirc the timing should be about 10 Degrees advanced right? ... well my friend looked at the timing and it was 1 degree retarded from TDC... so we moved the disty and it didnt really move so we jumped 10 to ground and moved it back to the orig spot and it said it was 10 degrees advanced. we took it for a spin and it ran a lot better... then the next time i started it it ran like it did before ..
1990 protege lx-RIP
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

All adjustments have to be done w/ the 10/gnd pinned, if adjustments are made without it, the ECU will reset any adjustments made. From what you describe it looks like you only jumped the pins to put it back to the original position, then when the car started the next time it reset itself.

Does it run better when the pins are jumped? (In limp mode)
cstott282

Post by cstott282 »

yes it does seem to run better like that
1990 protege lx-RIP
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

The ecu will not reset itself if you dont have the jumper in while setting ajustments. It just wont learn the new settings that you changed. Thus making it run like S***. All adjustments have to be done with the ten/gnd jumped as you said. Then the car must be shut down, the Jumper must be pulled. Then start the car up and the ecu should have remembered the settings from diagnostic mode.

Reset the ecu, (disconect negative battery cable, hold the break for 10 seconds). Place the negative cable back on. jump ten/grd, start car and set your timing, let it run for a little while, give it a couple shots of gas to see if it holds. Shut down car, pull the jumper out. start the car up and go for a drive. See if the issue comes back up.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”