K8 need help ASAP - Intake Manifold

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
purplemx3gs

K8 need help ASAP - Intake Manifold

Post by purplemx3gs »

Im working on my engine, changing the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets, and noticed that my throttle body and intake manifold were coated in thick black oil inside. The car smokes black and that has something to do with it.

Can any one tell me what the problem is while i have the intake manifold and valve covers out? Thanks in advance!
ninjajim4

Re: K8 need help ASAP - Intake Manifold

Post by ninjajim4 »

yeow... new rings i'd guess... it's ZE time
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

well depends how thick... and if its really oily. The pcv valve inevitably dumps oil into the intake, then dirt gets into the intake which sticks to the oil. So maybe if you air filter is knackered and your pcv valve is failing it could just be a build up over time. EGRs aren't exactly clean air sources either. I know my old k8 tb and part of the IM had a layer of sludge, but not really that oily. Though yours sounds like it's dying :lol: get a 2.5 into it regardless :D
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Haven't heard the word "knackered" used since being in Gib. Isn't black smoke usually fuel? If you step on the gas and it smokes it's valves and if it smokes when you take your foot off the gas its rings. Did I get that right?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

yea running rich - "A common problem that causes black smoke is a dirty or clogged air filter". If it was me I'd check for codes, check compression, air filter, pcv etc. Surely you can tell by the thickness of the sludge where it emanates? On my old k8 my valve cover gaskets failed, oil then dripped around the intakes on the heads, then the IM gasket perished and oil got over the valves, into the cylinders and fouled the plugs, causing misfires and the illusion of running rich as fuel wasn't effeciently ignited.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

and how can i check the codes because the ten and ground and turn the key method doesn't seem to work. maybe im doing it wrong or something lol.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Black Smoke - Fuel (Rich)
Blue - Oil
White - Coolant
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

I knew that man lol, i just wanna know how to retrieve codes because i cant seem to do it by 10 and ground.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

do you have a CEL? Uk cars don't have them, I have to use a 12v LED between fen and b+ and also short the ten and gnd.
View Worklog
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Your car is OBD-II, that's why you can't pull the codes. I live in Canada as well, and drive a '96 as well, and my car's OBD-II. I couldn't pull codes with the diagnostic connector. I bought the ISO 9141-2 protocol OBD-II scanner from scantool.net ($50) and it works great. You connect it using a laptop, and it gives you page after page of diagnostic info from all kinds of different sensors, it's the coolest thing.

By the way, it's "TEN" (Test Engine), not "10".
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

could you send me the exact link to buy this item because for 50$ or so, i cant go wrong. Ive been to several garages each charging me like 50$ and no problems are solved. O and can you view data-stream?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

This is the exact one that you want. It will work. But if for some odd reason it doesn't, you can return it and get your money back. Mine took about 2 weeks to come in, I'm in Winnipeg.

Click Here

I'm not entirely sure what data stream is, but you can get all different types of software (either freeware or you can pay a bit for software online) and they can do different things. It monitors all kinds of crazy sensors. You can also monitor your vehicle speed, engine speed, and you can do a 0-60 MPH test with the right software.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

that would be sweet but my car isn't OBDII, it doesn't have the 16 pin connector under the dash. it has the little box under the hood above the master cylinder.
purplemx3gs

Post by purplemx3gs »

you should send me a pic of what you connector on the car looks like. (doesn't have to be "your" connector but just a pic of the one like you have) to see if mine is the same.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Yup... your car is OBD-II. They still have the diagnostic connector under the hood, mine does too, but you can't pull codes from it. The connector is not on the driver's side. It's on the passenger side. If you lie on your back on the passenger side floor and look up around the center console area, you will see it.

I've been through this and done the research man. If you don't want to believe me, it's your loss.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”