tehbrookzorz - 1992 MX-3 GS (56k... Really?)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
tehbrookzorz

tehbrookzorz - 1992 MX-3 GS (56k... Really?)

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Figured I'd get around to posting some pics and a rough outline of the project. Just getting parts together right now. Getting closer!

Some of you know about the lights already... Started out like this:
and became:

Of course, the brakes, the suspension mods, and the wheels have been mentioned in earlier posts.
I found a neat pic of the KL block (mine is all apart and at the machine shop waiting to be bored.)

KL block:

I don't have pictures of the ZE heads, but there's nothing too special about mine. Just have to clean them up, swap the valve retainers, etc.

This is what I get to put it all back together with:

Decided not to skimp on head gaskets(Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS), and I got some Outlaw Engineering phenolic intake manifold/throttle body spacers. This pic also displays the Millenia manifold I'll be using as well as my awesome cat:

Stock transmission is... abused. Third gear is absolutely stripped, so I ventured down to Spokane recently and brought back a couple goodies. MX-6 LS transmission (taller final drive gear, which turns out to be ideal for the Mazdaspeed Protege5 LSD) and a spare MX-3 flywheel which I just found to have been exposed to laundry detergent!
Closet tranny :roll::

What's this!? Megasquirt v3!?:

If you're not interested, at least my cat is. FMIC!:

Umm.. Why the FMIC? Maybe because of a... MASSIVE TURBO!? I haven't even seen it yet, so I don't really know how big it is. Garret GT3071R courtesy of one of the local SRT-4 guys:

Mmmmmm wastegate:

I love this. I bought the boost controller long before I had heard about the turbo or wastegate, and it matches nicely. Pretty:

Better have some good rods in there. The stock ones look kinda weak:

Yup, the H-beams look niiiiiice. Bought from Rebel2k4 These were made for Ford small block. I think they'll do the trick:

A teaser of what my pistons will look like, except ever so slightly bigger (ordered mine for a 0.020" overbore). This is a picture of Brandon's:

And to keep tabs on the A/F ratio and boost pressures:

I don't have pictures of the Walbro 255lph pump since I put that in months ago. I figure I'm getting close. I just need turbo pipes, block and head fasteners, fuel pressure regulator, oil pressure gauge, clutch, maybe a better oil pump and some better plug wires, timing belt and idler pulleys, nissan injectors & modded rail, and maybe a limited slip diff. . .

Pipes are to be ordered shortly and I have my replacement Synapse Synchronic BOV on the way since my friend with a 300+hp Laser got all greedy and stole mine for his project. Ha ha.

What do you think?
Last edited by tehbrookzorz on December 31st, 2008, 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cody
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: tehbrookzorz - 1992 MX-3 GS

Post by fowljesse »

Crazy.
Not the kitty.
Looking forward to seeing the progress, and outcome!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

I know how much that car will put out in HP but how much HP does that cat have? lol Nice Car keep it up.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

lol front mounted inter cat! Gotta be a lolcat to be made with that one :) Quite a beast build you've got going, quality parts all round. Maybe save a bit and just shim oil pump?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

here kitty kitty kitty
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Just be careful of the Cat back exhaust.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

The cat actually makes a wicked BOV sound when he's angry. My friend brought his dog over to 'mingle' and the cat hid behind the couch in slobbery fury, howling in such a way that kinda sounded like an engine rev, and finishing off with a "PFFSHFSHSHTK!"
Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Got ahold of the camera again, so I figured I'd post an update.

Synapse Synchronic BOV to be used as BPV.

I'll have to get a better picture once I tear it all out of the packaging, but this is the limited slip differential offered for the Mazdaspeed Protege5, along with a new speed ring-gear, a couple bearings and nuts.
Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I got off work the other night and found out my car group was getting together, so I figured I'd show up. It's starting to get nicer out so everyone's taking their summer cars out of hiding.

Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

YAY :twisted: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just a cell phone pic, so it doesn't do them justice, but I got my pistons.
You can see the test-fit on one of my rods in the center of the box,
and a stock KL-DE rod and piston below. More to come.
Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Just got the turbo timer.

PISTONS!
Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

It's been awhile since I've updated, but I'll add a couple notes.

I've received my adjustable sway bar end links from wytbishop. They're on hold waiting for spring, and hopefully can go in with some wytbushings, assuming they get made *crosses fingers*.

As well I've received my traction bars. I think I may be one of five mx-3 owners to have them for their cars. It should be fun testing them once I get them mounted.

I've submitted partial payment on some Denso 550cc fuel injectors, fitted in KL rails, and tested. This puts me one step closer to my turbocharged dream.

Here's the list of turbo related stuff I have: KL-DE Block, KL-ZE Heads, Custom Pistons, Curved Neck ZE Intake, Hawk H-Beam Rods, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, Synapse Synchronic BOV, Turbo Pipes, Outlaw Engineering Manifold Spacers, MX-6 Transmission, MX-3 Flywheel, Guage Pod, AEM UEGO Wideband O2 Sensor/Controller, Boost Gauge, Stri Turbo Timer, Megasquirt v3, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Front Mount Intercooler, Mazdaspeed Protege LSD

The list of stuff I still should get: GT3071R dual ball bearing turbo (half paid), Turbosmart 38mm wastegate(half paid), Head Bolts, Block Bolts, Oil Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Oil Pressure Gauge, Clutch (Centerforce Dual Friction or Clutchmasters Stage III via RR-Racing...), Performance Spark Plug Wires, Water Pump, Timing Belt and Idler Pulleys, Timing Belt Tensioner Strut, Injectors and modified fuel rail (Rebel2k4), Oil catch can, Slim fan (mishimoto.com?)

----------

Now I just need to finish getting my stuff together, try to stop buying things for the 600RR, and get some guidance on installation and MSnS.

Comments are always welcome, including parts I may be forgetting.
Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

marcdh wrote:lol front mounted inter cat! Gotta be a lolcat to be made with that one :) Quite a beast build you've got going, quality parts all round. Maybe save a bit and just shim oil pump?
There are laws about abuse to animals here... :(

Shimming the oil pump is something I have to look into. Care to elaborate? If not, I will do some more research here and on probetalk.
Cody
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: tehbrookzorz - 1992 MX-3 GS (56k... Really?)

Post by mitmaks »

looks like it will be a nice build. Did you like Spokane?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
tehbrookzorz

Re: tehbrookzorz - 1992 MX-3 GS (56k... Really?)

Post by tehbrookzorz »

It was a bewildering trip. I've navigated places like Lethbridge and Victoria just fine, but places like Calgary and Spokane are interesting. I managed pretty well though. The border guards didn't believe my purpose in entering the USA, so they searched my car while I waited in the terminal for about 20 minutes. Once they were satisfied I was on my way. I didn't get too far into town. I think I was in an older part though, with some tall buildings, and a McDonalds pretty close to being under the highway. I didn't stray too far from the car because I was nervous it would get towed. WagZE ended up being late, but I guess he didn't realize the distance from Seattle. I guess he got two tickets on the way there. The border guards were suspicious of me on the way back as well. They didn't believe the price I'd paid for the transmission, and since I'd prepaid for it online, I hadn't thought to get a written receipt from WagZE. We sorted it out by finding the transfer history on paypal, and finding the original sale thread on mx-3.com, but the internet connection speed was brutal. Then I was on the road again.
Cody

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”