HELP!!! Electrical issues after clutch change

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
jeremypotter74

HELP!!! Electrical issues after clutch change

Post by jeremypotter74 »

After installing everything and buttening it all up i noticed a few problems... Please note that three electrical connections from the transaxle are hooked up as before.

1st problem: Automatic seat belt went foreward when i opened the door but did not return when i closed it, tried the passenger side and the same thing happened.

2nd problem: blinkers are not working at all, Checked all fuses and they are good.

3rd problem: speedometer does not work

4th problem: Cruise control does not turn on

5th problem: Power door locks do not work

When i put the old battery in after changing the clutch the car wouldnt start but the seat belts did, I tried to recharge it but it was bad so I got a new battery and when i installed it I found all these issues.
I re-checked all conections and they are connected.
Are all these issues connected to one source?
Please help..... Thank you.
92 MX-3 GS 1.8, looking for ZE.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: HELP!!! Electrical issues after clutch change

Post by umcamara »

Make sure you check your large main fuses under the hood. If you have an ohmmeter, you can pull each one out and check it's continuity.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

I just checked them all with an ohm meter and they're fine. They also have a visual indicator window but I double checked with the meter and they're all good. just noticed the temp doesn't register either.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I know this is vague, but it's almost as if you unplugged a harness going into the cab of the car. Perhaps a harness under the dash at the CPU or at the ECU was unplugged in the process, and you forgot to plug it in again.

All these issues seem to be localized around the driver's area.

Have you driven the car since changing the clutch and battery. Perhaps the battery just doesn't have enough charge on it yet. (as you know, car batteries don't come charged)
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

The battery has a full charge, I replugged all the connections, I even have voltage at the circuits in question at the dash fuse panel. It runs and drives perfectly. headlights work. hazards work. I did lower the engine quite a bit to get the tranny in and out but paid close attention to the wires while doing so. but I'll check some more.
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

I checked all the fuses under the hood for continuity but only visually checked all the cab fuses even pulled em out to check em. but when I studied all the electrical schematics I saw that all the problem circuits that were in question went through the "meter" fuse under the dash so i pulled it again and saw it was blown way up at the top kind of out of sight. replaced it and now cruise, blinkers, temp guage, spedo, and belts work. :) just gotta troubleshoot the door locks.. they worked intermittently before the clutch change sometimes immediately and sometimes with a delay so i think its in the timer circuit. I also had my dash brake light coming on under deceleration and it would sometimes go back off when I accelerated but now is on all the time. Any sugggestions on the brake light?
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

ok brake light fixed. low brake fluid. go figure
the seat belts are just wierd though. if theyre locked I can unlock,lock,unlock etc. and it works right away each time, but if i keep doing it it will stop at some point and take thirty seconds or so to relock. i remember a few times where it didnt lock at all.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

jeremypotter74 wrote: if theyre locked I can unlock,lock,unlock etc. and it works right away each time, but if i keep doing it it will stop at some point and take thirty seconds or so to relock. i remember a few times where it didnt lock at all.
I have this same problem... it's like delayed :x

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”