mx-3 for a beginner?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
redzbinsky

mx-3 for a beginner?

Post by redzbinsky »

First of all, i want to present my self.I am from Romania,Europe.I am 17 and i a few months i will get my driving-licence.And i want a mx-3 to be my first car.So i have some questions,
1. is mx-3 a good car for a beginner?
2.which is the best engine from mazda(mx-3 of course)?
3.what are the usual problems that can appear ?(technical or mechanical problems)
4.any other things i need ti know about the car?

I want to buy a 1992-1994 mx3 so i need all of your advices.

Excuse my bad english :oops:, and i am waiting for your advices .
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: mx-3 for a beginner?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

My 96 RS (1.6L) was and is my first car. I could not afford the insurance on the V6 (something like $500/mo). I don't think you could go wrong with getting an mx, no mattter how long you've been driving for. Unlike most of my friends, my car never broke down or needed parts. Other than changing some fluids and plugs, she never asked me for anything. Now it's been about 6-7 years, I have still not "needed" to put any money in her. I think the only problem I have ever had was a fouled injector. Now I have the power bug and am throwing lots of money in her... But only because I want to.. Not that she needs it.

I have though about importing a skyline, FS, EVO, FTO.... but I don't think that anything else would be as fulfilling as my MX-3.

:twisted: Buy an MX-3 :twisted:

:twisted: Or we will shoot this dog :twisted:
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

well i would definately get one lol. I would say its a good begginer car. I personally like the GS (1.8 v6) and they have a couple engine swaps you can do (klze, klde). Then you have an RS (1.6 i4) the main swap for that is bp-t. either way i think the handling is really good. One mechanical problem on the GS is the distributor they tend to fail, Just look up the HEI mod on here and you can fix that easy. Other then that there great cars!! :lol:
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

This site is a big factor in the reason I got my 1st MX-3.
I love my MX-3 as much as I've loved my 2 Mercedes SL series, RX-7, various muscle cars, motorcycles, etc...
Use the "search" function under the red car above. You can read for hours, like I did when thinking about getting one.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

My MX-3 was my first car, and I bought it super abused for 2K CAD. I replaced engine and clutch for another 1000CAD and so far things are looking good. Plus, this community rocks, and the car is sexy, and fun to drive. Go for it!
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
redzbinsky

Post by redzbinsky »

Great.Thnx guys!I will read the other forum threads and if i have any other questions i will ask here.

Thanks again :love2:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My Mx-3 is my first car, been 6 years this month that I've had her.

Recommendations:

Manual tranny is a must

V6 if you want to swap to a KLDE/KLZE later.

92-93 SOHC 1.6L is you want to swap to a BP/BPT later.

I found the 1.8 V6 pretty peppy when I first got it, but I put in a ZE about a year and a half later, now that is fun :)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

a 92-93 RS will be the best car u can get for everyday use with a new driving license.
:wink:
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
simon179

Post by simon179 »

over in uk due to insurance issues i was stuck with a 1.0 vauxhall corsa for almost 2 yrs! about 6 months after i started driving my sister bought a mx and let me drive itand i knew that i wanted it! they are rare cars in the uk so i was lucky to get mine from my sister when whe was selling it! i really recomend the car as i ahve drove alot of cars and they all seemed very plain! withthe mx 3 it has alot of character inside and out! have had the car for 2 months now and coming upto 18months i have been looking after it and i can say i dont think i will be getting bored of this car anytime soona and when i do i will just put a bigger engine in to rekindell my love for the car for anoither few years :)

as to first cars if your roads and insurance are anything like in the uk the power of the cars may be abit much for a new driver! as long as you dont drive like an idiot you should be ok :)
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

What everyone is saying here is true, the MX is a blast to drive. I've had my MX for well over 5 years now, and the only thing I've recently had to replace on it, has been a a busted water pump. However, while the mechanic had it at the shop, I had him replace also the timing belt, both radiator hoses and belts, and the thermostat as well. It cost about $450 for everything, so that was a good deal I believe. It really seems that on average, these cars really don't break down much at all, and I have a 93 RS 4 cyl automatic.

So, I hope you decide on getting one if you haven't already, and by all means, keep coming to mx-3.com. Everything I every truly learned about the MX was through here. And I have no doubt, that you will as well

:D
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
SKDoug

Post by SKDoug »

It is true, the MX-3 is a great car. It lasts and lasts and lasts. Looks great, and different from other cars. Plus its great on mileage, especially highway driving. I pulled of about 800km's on one tank of gas, which was about 40L before I had the tank replaced.

I'm going to miss mine once its sold, but it was a great 8 years I had with it!

So you're in luck if you get one, its a great experience!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

800km :shock: I got 600 TOPS. usual is 450.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
SKDoug

Post by SKDoug »

ya, it was from Sault St. Marie all the way down to Barrie on one tank, which I believe is something close to 800kms. I'm trying to remember if I had my new gas tank put in or not, I don't think it was, but the new tank only took about an extra 10L on fillup compared to the old tank (40L to 50L approx.), and its standard which probably helped, heh.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I did Steinbach to Brandon and back, thats a bit over 600. standard, 1.6 SOHC. 100 all the way. Humph.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Savin

Post by Savin »

SKDoug wrote:It is true, the MX-3 is a great car. It lasts and lasts and lasts. Looks great, and different from other cars. Plus its great on mileage, especially highway driving. I pulled of about 800km's on one tank of gas, which was about 40L before I had the tank replaced.

I'm going to miss mine once its sold, but it was a great 8 years I had with it!

So you're in luck if you get one, its a great experience!
Nicely done for the fuel efficiency.
For us U.S. peeps, thats 13.2 gal(50L) and 497mi(800KM) meaning roughly 37mpg's.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”