ZE manifoild on an K8 enigne?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Epic

ZE manifoild on an K8 enigne?

Post by Epic »

Will this work? I can get an curved neck 2.5 intake manifoild for a good price and I just wonder if it wil work with an ZE or DE? i want it in case I do a swap in the future.
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
wytbishop

Re: ZE manifoild on an K8 enigne?

Post by wytbishop »

The ZE IM will fit on your K8 but it has no EGR system and the size and shape of the ports is different. You would have to delete the EGR system on your car or transfer it over to the new manifold. The big thing is the port matching. you'd have a big square intake runner leading to a smaller rounded valve runner. I think this will actually hurt your performance pretty badly on the K8. You'll have the same problem with the DE if you go that way as it's ports are also round.

I'd buy the manifold and save it until you can get the ZE engine to go with it. I would not install it on the K8...but that's just me. Other's may have difference opinions.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I don't disagree, if you ran the ZE IM on a k8 there would mostly be a massive low end tq decrease. These manifolds are usually matched as well as they can be for their respective motors so your idle among other factors woul all be influenced, most likely in a negative way.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote: shape of the ports is different. You would have to delete the EGR system on your car or transfer it over to the new manifold. The big thing is the port matching. you'd have a big square intake runner leading to a smaller rounded valve runner. I think this will actually hurt your performance
Actually, Probe/Mx-6'ers running their stock DE's actually get a noticable different when putting a ZE intake manifold on, despite the mismatch. On a K8, I dont think anyone has tried a KL IM on it, I'd be curious to know what it does on a K8
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Epic

Post by Epic »

Actually, Probe/Mx-6'ers running their stock DE's actually get a noticable different when putting a ZE intake manifold on, despite the mismatch. On a K8, I dont think anyone has tried a KL IM on it, I'd be curious to know what it does on a K8
When you say diference I asume you mean improvement? Well It would be fun to try, but if this can hurt my performance with the K8, and might not give me anything on the DE, I might as well drop it. The odds are that I wont get an ZE engine is rather low, I will most likley end up with an DE since I need a whole car to make the swap.

But thanks for the quick reply guys.
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Epic wrote:When you say diference I asume you mean improvement? Well It would be fun to try, but if this can hurt my performance with the K8, and might not give me anything on the DE, I might as well drop it. The odds are that I wont get an ZE engine is rather low, I will most likley end up with an DE since I need a whole car to make the swap.
Ya, sorry, it was a improvement in performance with the ZE IM on a DE.

What you mean you'll get a DE cause you'll need a whole car for the swap? You have a V6 Mx-3, so you're not really missing any parts, and the Probe/Mx-6 are on different chassis, so there's really nothing you can move over anyway except for the drivetrain. You just need a new ECU, maybe VAF (depending on what ECU you go with) and a new clutch, that's it, regardless if it's a DE or ZE
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I wasn't referring to a DE with ZE IM (which is what I have BTW), the K8 motor has a smaller displacement, I think the ZE IM would be to much for it to handle at lower RPM's.
Epic

Post by Epic »

Hmm, well depending on on what the salvage yards have lying around you might be right. But if I find a wrecked probe/mx6/626, it will be cheaper than buying the parts from a yard. Engine, tranny, engine munts, ecu, vaf, and drive shafts is at least 3000usd.
And to import a ZE, customs will kill me. Unless I manage to smuggle it inn 8) And then I need to buy the rest anyways :D

Need to do some more reading here and keep my eyes open for parts that I need. I will have a 2.5 some day :twisted:
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Epic wrote: Engine, tranny, engine munts, ecu, vaf, and drive shafts
You only need engine, ecu, and maybe VAF. Your stock tranny bolts up so the stock drive shafts are fine and the ZE/DE engine mounting points are the same. You will probably need to upgrade clutch and exhaust. Most people just buy the engine and piece the rest together. From what I know of Norway it's gonna be wicked expensive either way, but you don't NEED a donor car.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Epic

Post by Epic »

But how will my tranny, mounts and shafts handle the power? Yeah anything that has to do with cars is mad expensive, and you cant let anyone know what you have done :wink:
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, if your on a budget, you don't *need* to upgrade the exhaust, but it's a good idea if you want to take advatange of the power that the motor has. A clutch tho, you *will need*. A new K8 one wont even do the job, and a stock DE clutch is questionable, just get a good Stage 1 from a reputable manufacturer and you'll be fine.

Tranny, not a problem, it's basically the same tranny that the Probe has. You can swap between Mx-3/Probe (4.38:1) or Mx-6/626 (4.11:1) if you wish, but between all 4, they are all structurely the same.

Mounts are fine if they're in good shape, if they're old and torn, you can get new ones or polyfill the ones you have. You need to use the Mx-3 V6 mounts, that's all you got. Mind you, you can refrofit a Probe/Mx-3 fromt mount, but that's it.

Shafts, no problem. Breaking axles are only a potential issue if you have slicks, or you're Trevor (lol). We're pretty much all runinng stockers. You need to get custom ones if you turbo it and are making mad power, but that's about it, stock axles are fine.

Like I said before, the chassis between the Mx-3 and the Probe/Mx-6 are different, so you can't use the shafts or the mounts from them. Despite having the same series V6, the Mx-3 is a modified platform based off the 323/Protege.
Epic

Post by Epic »

Well this sounds very nice I think.

But I just read the worklog of a member on the norwegian mazda forum, his k8 tranny was shot and he went for the kl-de one. But they didnt match. The tranny went nice on the engine, but the internal connection did not fit. This was from an 626.

But are the eletric connectors the same on the mx3 as the 2.5 cars?

I guess im gonna get in a shitload of truble if I keep this discussion going here, but thanks for all the intel guys. been alot of good help.
MX-3 1.8V6 -92

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”