distributor questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
hpcbmw

distributor questions

Post by hpcbmw »

My girlfriends mx-3 is throwing the code for cam angle sensor. Since I've got to get it to pass california smog soon, i'm thinking of replacing the distributor with a used one. Any suggestions about what different cars I can pull a disty from? The car is 1993 mx-3 4 cyl. I'm not sure what motor designation - B? What other cars used this same engine, or same distributor? I'm heading to pick n pull this weekend.

Also - how difficult is it to pull the distributor? how about installing the new one?

Thanks
eyezpinned

Re: distributor questions

Post by eyezpinned »

93 1.6 sohc is a b6. you can use the 92-93 mx distributor, the 92-94 323 distributor, and a sephia distributor up to 95. (basically any of those cars w/ a 1.6 sohc) the distributor is a pretty easy job. if you have a swivel socket wrench and a 12mm deep socket you can pull it out without having to really move anything. if you do replace the distributor it wouldn't hurt to replace the cap and rotor. also check the oil seal and replace it if it's damaged.
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

eyezpinned wrote:93 1.6 sohc is a b6. you can use the 92-93 mx distributor, the 92-94 323 distributor, and a sephia distributor up to 95. (basically any of those cars w/ a 1.6 sohc) the distributor is a pretty easy job. if you have a swivel socket wrench and a 12mm deep socket you can pull it out without having to really move anything. if you do replace the distributor it wouldn't hurt to replace the cap and rotor. also check the oil seal and replace it if it's damaged.

Uhh the disty would have a new cap & rotor on it. REPlace that seal mazda didnt replace mine & the care leak oil
Oh when i had to have my 95 disty replaced it had to be ordered from japan & it was like 600 bucks
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

i *think* you can also use the Bp disty.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya mine was gonna be about 400 bucks for a new one. my 180 dollar autozone disty would go out all the time. such a hassle with that. ya i think he can too, the bp also had a 5th terminal for the external coil just like the b6 sohc right?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

hpcbmw wrote:i'm thinking of replacing the distributor with a used one. Any suggestions about what different cars I can pull a disty from?
my cap and rotor advice was assuming he was going to swap a used one in. go to www,car-part.com (junkyard database) it uses an interchange filter so you can find out what other models you can use. also, when putting the distributor in use a torque wrench. if the bolts arent set right, the seal can leak even if it's brand new.
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”