klze running problems!!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Kenzie

klze running problems!!!!

Post by Kenzie »

Just got the ze put in the car, starts and idles fine, but when you go to give it any gas at all it just stumbles all over itself and won't rev up, trying to drive it is even worse! It has the k8 disty on it, tired using a klde disty I had laying around and it wouldn't start at all, I have changed out the vaf to the one that came with the motor, one from a klde, and the one from my mx-6, no change........ I don't think it makes a difference but we did a mtx swap at the same time..... pls help any ideas would be appreciated greatly.....

BTW, we only have 3 more days til the engine warrenty expires so we're tryin to get this resolved asap.

Thanks
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
hgallegos915

Re: klze running problems!!!!

Post by hgallegos915 »

what ecu? k8 ecu will not run properly with the kl02 vaf.

Also check the plugs are they in the right place? sensors? wires?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

its a klde ecu in it right now, with a klde maf, plugs are good pulled them all out and checked them. wires are fairly new ngk wires, all sensors are plugged in except for the front o2 which I just found alittle while ago, one of the wires is pulled out of the connector. the only thing that I can think that it would be now is the cranck position sensor and Im going to change it this weekend.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

K got the wild hair to try and change the crank angle sensor last night, no change, runs the same. pulled the CEL codes the only thing Im getting is EGR position and the PRC valve. As far as I can tell all of the plugs are in the right places the only ones that I have extra are the PRC (which I dont even have it anymore) and the three connectors for the automatic tranny that is no longer there. I cant think of anything else that could possibly make it run that bad?
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

what year is your ZE? in my 93 MX3 i installed a 96 ZE and had to use the K8 disti - it started right up but ran like crap - then, when i swapped out the coolant inlet with the secondary sensor - i redid my timing belt and it runs like a bat of hell now - so beautiful and perfect. the reason i ask is that the 96 and up ZE have different firing orders than the K8 - and once the timing was readjusted - it just made the car perfect. that was all i had to do - to make a winner of an engine. i;m beating IS300s and i havent even gotten the ECU rechipped yet.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

I was going to try that this weekend if nothing else worked, I think mine is the 96 + ze bc it has the 3rd sensor on the water neck. but if the firing order is different redoing the timing really wouldnt make a difference would it?
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

the proof is in the pudding - it was a happy mistake in my case - since i had to take the timing belt off to swap out the coolant inlet and motor mount - when i replaced the timing belt according to the chilton's manual - well - there you go. the firing order is different in the disti only not the block. so using your K8 disti is a must and i'm also using the K8 VAF and K8 ecu - the only thing im using from the ZE is the engine - i had to change out the alternator, disti and coolant inlet. i also had an 'extra' coolant pipe coming from the ZE near the tranny - i had no clue where this went and just plugged it up - it was a very small pipe though.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

What was yours doing, mine is studders really bad when you try to give it any gas at all like it is hitting a rev limiter.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

yup - exactly that - it would idle rough and then when i pushed on the gas - it choked. when i drove it around it was pretty bad - i would just keep on the gas peddle until it just 'jumped' up and got goin - but not very fast. thats before i redid the timing belt - after i did that and nothing else - it kicked a--.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Hmm Ill give it a try....
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

should I change out the knock sensor?
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

why? i didnt have too
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

just wondering....
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i just learned tonight -that ZE's are not OBDII - none of them are - since the japanese didnt have the emissions standards the US does - OBD definitions were obsolete there.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

im gonna try what you said in a min our car is obd1, so that shouldnt have an effect on anything.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”