rebuilt ranny for drag

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
bp_turbo94

rebuilt ranny for drag

Post by bp_turbo94 »

so i was wondering has n e body ever got there bp trans rebuilt and could you feel a differents
Limegreen mx-3

Re: rebuilt ranny for drag

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

reguardless if u rebuilt ur bp tranny AKA g-series trans

it is still as weak as before a rebuilt the open is its weakest point

u can weld the diff pins the cheap route

buy a MS protege diff can only hold so much WHP until that takes a shyt

next is a quife diff $1200+ so that out the ? to most

even for these that do buy one who knows how much hp and stress the gears inside the tranny can hold up too. 400, 500 700whp who knows

at 475whp a stock mazda g-series tranny was only holding up to 4-6 1/4 mile pass. the cause ot its demise shattered diff. spider gears in a million peices.

in 8 months i have been throw 3 (one mazda 2 kia) g-series tranny and im just under 300whp
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I still have the original (vin matching) g-series tranny on my V6 mx3 with over 200k miles. It's been on an unspring 6 puck disc from an RX7 for the past 20k miles. 4k or so of boost miles and 50 or so passes at the track on 300+whp.

Here's what I believe is the secret. It still has a stock pressure plate. It held just fine on the dyno to a tad over 400whp. On 300whp I had no problems drag racing at the track.

Now that the car is making over 400whp it tends to spin the first 4 gears and will start slipping after a pass or two. I must have finally reached the limit of my magical stock pressure plate.

I'll be moving on to a much stiffer pressure plate and some much wider tires (currently on 225 width) in the future. I think that will break a few transmissions for me. Then I will be addressing the issue of new gears/differential.

For those that want to find an inexpensive way to increase the life of their transmission using a stock pressure plate with a nice clutch disc could be a valid option. It's worked for me for quite some time and yielded 12 second times.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
bp_turbo94

Post by bp_turbo94 »

thaxs for the info
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Yes, I would have to agree that a less aggresive clutch package could make the life of a trans last much longer. I've been using a mild ACT clutch package with 300whp and have had 0 issues in over 4yrs. Drag racing will shorten the life of a trans and is a different story. High rev clutch drops and wheel hop are just a few things I would avoid. :wink:
Dan [Sac]

Post by Dan [Sac] »

Things that will help are straight cut gears ($800+ per gear). A standard rebuild will not net you a 'stronger' transaxle, it will merely return it to OEM spec.

I run an open differential in my quick Probe, and have had no problem doing 1.6x and 1.7x short times on slicks. The only sucky thing about the open diff. is it's hard getting an even burnout before each pass.
'90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
'93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods... 10.24 @ 139.5 mph [20 psi] - 545 whp, 490 wtq @ 21psi
1997 Ford Probe GTS (Hybrid) - RWD Conversion - Build Thread
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

$800 a gear is just an insane amount of money to put into your gearbox. Might as well just find a sponsor and different gearbox w/sequential shifting. :)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I have been beating on my tranny for 2.5 years with a ACT stage2 and its still holding up fine. Mind me its just a ZE with about 175whp.lol

This year I am running a Phantom Grip LSD and welded diff pin I got from slammed6. I will see how long this lasts.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

Yep its all in how you drive it and the trans gears aren't the problem. I run a b6 or f treans with my bpt boosting 15 psi with many other mods and it holds up fine for years.

I use a stage 1 (230ftlb) act kit for the b6 it slips a little on certain days but that and gl5 or higher trans fluids are keeping my car alive. That and I never dump the clutch or power shift I have done burnouts but only cause the can can do it without a clutch dump. Even my 220000km b6 axles are doing fine, just get good engine mounts to reduce hop (gtx ones work for me) and your golden.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”