Civic skirts installation

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MaX3

Civic skirts installation

Post by MaX3 »

I picked up a set of Honda Civic factory side skirts. They are the bumper black material that you see on most Hondas. They provide a great amount of under body protection that the MX3s require especially in the winter salt areas. I saw this modification done on a generation 2 Integra and thought I would try it on the MX3. I removed most of the extra plastic ribbing on the inside and sanded it smooth to get it very close to the side of the car. I marked where the front factory mud flap lines up with Honda skirt and made my cut. After making a few adjustments and finished it by sanding the edge smooth, I was finished the one side.

I held the skirt into place by clamping the rear edge to the rear wheel well and then propped it up along the bottom to set it right. I then marked the skirt where it needed to be trimmed along the top otherwise the door will not open! I trimmed off about an inch and placed it back on the car. Everything lined up nicely.

Now, the advantage of this modification is that stones and salt will not eat through the typical spot in front of the rear wells and under the door. BUT in order in to this skirt to stay on, you need to decide on how you want to do it. There is a great 3M product which is a great body moulding adhesive and possibly pop rivet the rear edge. I planned on smoothing out the edge with fibreglass so the Civic skirts have just created a great profile to fibreglass over.

Pictures of this will be coming... I wanted to test it first before making any final decisions.
He who has the most toys wins!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Civic skirts installation

Post by fowljesse »

I'm interested..
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

sounds cool. pics faster!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Awesome Idea!
I always liked the stock side skirts Honda has provided for most of it's cars. A friend of mine done this same thing on his 95 Mirage. It turned out looking... ok.
I'd love to see some pic's, and I'm very interested!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Yeah this thread is useless without pics :|
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D