LED taillight retrofit *MORE PICS ADDED!!!!!*

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Urbanconcept

Re: LED taillight retrofit

Post by Urbanconcept »

X3RCKT wrote:Never thought of that.

Thank you.

Another question, sorry not trying to jack your thread but you seem into the tail lights thing... Hehe

The lense is cracked, I have looked a few places for a clear replacement but really no luck.

Anything you would suggest for a do it yourself job? I was thinking of that kind of cloudy clear plastic covers with the pyramid type bumps that cover like phloresent (sorry spelling on that) lights. Was wondering if could like heat it with a paint stripper/hair dryer and mold it to fit? Good/bad/dumb idea?
That sounds like a cool idea. Again, if you're going to put that overtop of a break light that isn't a coloured LED or bulb, then you would also have to paint the cover with some translucent red paint (you can get it in cans from any hobby store). We're still talking about the LED 3rd break light right?
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

*Update*

THE LIGHTS ARE FINALLY INSTALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that they look sooooooooooo good. I haven't had a chance to take pics yet, but they resemble the "kouki" style taillights that another member on this board made using the stock lense over top of a set of altezza's. The only difference is that mine are LED's!!

The only thing left to do is get the reverse lights to work again. I need to replace a switch on the transmission (which i forgot about since my custom fiberglass tails didnt have any reverse lights). Pics within a couple days.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

:love: ...They look great, and that is exactly the kind of style I was thinking about trying myself. Sometime I'll get around to it.
more pics!
:D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Urbanconcept wrote:
X3RCKT wrote:Never thought of that.

Thank you.

Another question, sorry not trying to jack your thread but you seem into the tail lights thing... Hehe

The lense is cracked, I have looked a few places for a clear replacement but really no luck.

Anything you would suggest for a do it yourself job? I was thinking of that kind of cloudy clear plastic covers with the pyramid type bumps that cover like phloresent (sorry spelling on that) lights. Was wondering if could like heat it with a paint stripper/hair dryer and mold it to fit? Good/bad/dumb idea?
That sounds like a cool idea. Again, if you're going to put that overtop of a break light that isn't a coloured LED or bulb, then you would also have to paint the cover with some translucent red paint (you can get it in cans from any hobby store). We're still talking about the LED 3rd break light right?
Yep still talking about the 3rd light. :2thumbsup:
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

X3RCKT wrote:
Yep still talking about the 3rd light. :2thumbsup:
Sounds like a good plan. It prob won't cost a lot right? Worst case scenario is it doesn't work and you try something different. :D
Urbanconcept

Re: LED taillight retrofit *MORE PICS ADDED!!!!!*

Post by Urbanconcept »

NEW pics up!!! One comparison shot, as per the request and some shots of the running lights!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Very nice upgrade.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm just not sure about this with oem tails...

urban - have you considered converting altezzas with the LEDs in big circles? that's what I would think would be the ideal up to date taillight for the mx-3... sigh I just don't know how to build it :?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I want to do that to the set you gave me. Come over when I get back, and we'll make it happen.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Mooneggs! Don't worry, I can help you with the retro into the euro lights. I was wanting to do this retrofit as well. Sadly i couldn't find a cheap set of altezza's. It would actually more simplistic to do the retrofit to a set of altezzas. If you want my advice on what parts to use and how to do the retro send me a pm. OR send me a set of altezza's and I'll build them for you.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”