some plugs smell like gas allso exhaust does too

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3Burnz

some plugs smell like gas allso exhaust does too

Post by mx3Burnz »

I just got this car and it runs preaty good drives ok exept for a little knocking sound when i turn at slow speed left or right but the thing that is worrying me the most is that when i took out the spark plugs today 2 of them were wet with gas and the others just smelled like it and allso when the car is running the exhaust smells like gas. I dont have the gapping thing for the plugs im just going to replace them.

any ideas on why it smells like gas? any help would be appreciated thnaks
wytbishop

Re: some plugs smell like gas allso exhaust does too

Post by wytbishop »

Plugs may not be gapped properly so they're too cold. May not be firing at all, but the car would run pretty rough. If two opposing cylinders weren't firing it might not be as bad...not sure on that idea. Could be bad injectors leaking fuel into the cylinders when it's not their turn to fire.

Start with new plugs cuz that's just good maintenance anyway. Install them one at a time to avoid mixing up the order by accident. As you install them, first plug them into the plug wire, hold it by the boot with a pair of insulated pliers and touch the electrode to the head of the engine while a friend turns the engine over. This is to confirm that each plug is actually firing as you install them. Your should actually be able to see the spark jumping the gap. Sorry if that's overly simplistic, but you never know what someone's skill level is.

If you have 6 good sparks, see how it runs. If you can still smell gas in the exhaust, it could be Catalytic Converter issue. If the plugs are still wet after running for a few minutes I'd look at the injectors.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3Burnz

Post by mx3Burnz »

ok thanks a lot the cat looks preaty rusty but i will start with the plugs first do you have any idea on what the knockin could be it really doesnt seem like the cv axle to me it looks like its coming from steering rack what could be causing it low fluid level or something more serious (the powersteering is working fine) btw ive been looking for a good shop to do a nice full inspection on the car im guessing from your name you own one or work in one mind giving me the adress i think if its not too far away i might come by friday or if you have a buddys shop somewhere in the toronto area you could refer me to
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Sorry, I don't own or work in a shop...anymore. I'm an Engineer now and I live in Edmonton.

When in doubt go to the dealer.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Flea

Post by Flea »

Did you get a safety inspection yet? The inspection would have found whether or not the CV joints are bad. The "knocking" is probably coming from the CV joints. If you are able to lift the front and look underneath, check the CV boots to see if they are worn and cracked. If the boots have split open, you have dirt in the CV joint and are lacking grease. Depending on your skill level, replacing the CV joints OR trying to replace the boots and repack it with fresh grease is no easy task. If you call around to some garages that deal with import cars, they can give you an estimate on fixing that issue. Ask friends and family if they can personally recommend a shop otherwise you could be in for nasty surprise when the garage tells you it will cost $1500 to replace the CVs.

If you are from the Toronto area, I would post a question in the Toronto forum to find a reputable shop. I am in Kitchener and can give you a name of a garage that has been servicing all of my vehicles for 6 years, but thats a bit of drive from Toronto.

Good luck
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

CV shafts are easy if you have the right tools and near impossible if you don't. The shafts themselves, at least where I am, are only around $100 apiece. The big issue with them is that there are many different shafts available depending on ABS, Manual/Auto, RS/GS and they almost never get it right. I've been given the wrong shaft twice now. Beware.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mx3Burnz

Post by mx3Burnz »

Flea wrote:Did you get a safety inspection yet? The inspection would have found whether or not the CV joints are bad. The "knocking" is probably coming from the CV joints. If you are able to lift the front and look underneath, check the CV boots to see if they are worn and cracked. If the boots have split open, you have dirt in the CV joint and are lacking grease. Depending on your skill level, replacing the CV joints OR trying to replace the boots and repack it with fresh grease is no easy task. If you call around to some garages that deal with import cars, they can give you an estimate on fixing that issue. Ask friends and family if they can personally recommend a shop otherwise you could be in for nasty surprise when the garage tells you it will cost $1500 to replace the CVs.

If you are from the Toronto area, I would post a question in the Toronto forum to find a reputable shop. I am in Kitchener and can give you a name of a garage that has been servicing all of my vehicles for 6 years, but thats a bit of drive from Toronto.

Good luck
Thanks a lot to you and whybshop for your generous help i did get a safety and a full check on the car its not the cv because i have delt with them before and i know that knock its not the same im getting it really sounds like the rack & pinion because i had a 85 325 and it used to make the same sound i did get the smell and gas thing fixed it just needed new spark plugs i allso had to change the whole exhaust witch ran me about 500$

I FINNALY DROVE IT TO WORK TODAY AND MAY I SAY IM IN LOVE i love that v6 engine sound and i think i will be keeping this car till the day it dies and even then ill swap a klze in it i just love it its an amazing little machine my friends call it a chicks car but what i like to say to them is hey well if chicks like it thats means ill be getting the attention:) once again thanks a lot for the help guys

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”