Cosmetic ZE Refinishing

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
SmoothMX3

Re: Cosmetic ZE Refinishing

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Man that valve cover looks sweet. I'll definatly be doing the same in the future.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Valve covers and IM are at the powder-coater :)
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

My Aloha 8.2: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t258/1981aloha27/Aloha 8.2
Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

VCs and IM are back from the powder coaters. I still have some polishing to do on the raised letters,
but here's how they looked right out of the kiln. I went with candy red on the VCs and candy blue
on the IM. The candy shows imperfections more than a "crinkle" finish, but it will be much easier to
wipe clean cos of the high gloss. With these crazy colors it's gonna look like a cartoon under the
hood! lol
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That is pretty. I want to kiss it. Must be the color reminds me of nail polish on a hot chick. I think you should go all out, and have the most colorful bay EVER!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

fowljesse wrote:I think you should go all out, and have the most colorful bay EVER!
I think I'm already committed to lots of color. The intake system is mainly blue and polished aluminum. The VCs red. The fuel rails deep purple. Alternator and all top end components will be polished aluminum. Yellow MBX wires. SS headers. Gold-zinc brackets. lol
The only change I'm considering is maybe redoing all brackets and clamps...maybe powdering flat-black.
Hard to say until I see everything come together. I want there to be lots to look at when the hood's up, but I gotta be really careful not to have too much goin on. I know it looks over the top right now, but I think it's gonna look insane when it's between the fenders.
Also, I'm going to fab my own custom aluminum strut bars. Two in a "V" to the firewall for the front end, and one out back.
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 14th, 2008, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Where did you get your v/c's done?? looks good man
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Kirk95gs wrote:Where did you get your v/c's done?? looks good man
VC's ($70 each) and IM ($140) were done at http://www.precision-powder-coating.com in the Brunside Industrial Park, Dartmouth NS.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Do a worklog! I want to see it!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

The intake is being re-assembled. I'm still waiting for some parts that are getting plated,
but here's how it looks so far...

The candy is an intense process that takes media-blasting, acid etching, phosphorous dip followed by a coat of silver base and a final coat of candy color. I wasn't trying to "hide" blems or flaws, but more to add bling and make it easy to keep clean. Mission accomplished??
BTW, the IM is sand-cast and the VCs are die-cast...hence the difference in final appearance.
Oh...something else. What looks like lumps under the coating on the intake is actually dimples....not pimples. Probably caused my clumps of sand inside the casting? Anyway, too much work to fill.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

nsklzemx3 wrote:
Kirk95gs wrote:Where did you get your v/c's done?? looks good man
VC's ($70 each) and IM ($140) were done at http://www.precision-powder-coating.com in the Brunside Industrial Park, Dartmouth NS.
Right on man. I'll have to check them out. I had two places up here that were going to do it but didnt have the color I wanted. They were going to charge me little over $200 for just my v/c's.

At the end of May there is a car show in Kentville NS. *Apple blossom festival* The have a portable dyno setup and charge $20 for two runs. usually see some nice imports. theres was 2 ze mx-3's there last year. They didnt run though. We might have to head up and put are cars on see what they hit.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Omg, Dude thats gonna look sick!
Someone asks you to pop your hood, usally they expect either chromed out VC's, or colored VC's and thats it. (or just stock) ... You open the hood for them and suddenly they get this mind blowing, fruit sensational engine bay of colors. Dude, Go all out with it.. I mean, your doing an awsome job so far. Just do 'everything' in crazy colors. (ideas start bursting in my head) ... Go ahead and get your exterior painted as if it was a puzzle, but with each puzzle peice, a different color. I might be goin too far. But anyways, looks awsome bro, cant wait to see more pics.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

SmoothMX3 wrote:... Go ahead and get your exterior painted as if it was a puzzle, but with each puzzle peice, a different color...
Lol... the idea is - totally stock from the outside...then, when you kick butt...you pop-and-grin lol
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

ahhhhh... gotcha!
perfect, just perfect!
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Just some update pics. I started touching up little things like bolt heads. Wish I could have found a complete plated bolt kit, but wasn't able to find much.
Cleaned up the letters...

Got a bit more done but still waiting for re-plated parts
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

mitmaks wrote:you have a cool idea but unless its gonna be a show car youll be wasting your time and money
To each his own, but I don't agree. I like a clean engine bay. And if you lived where I do...the world capital of salted highways, you'd know how crappy aluminum can get in a matter of months. Everything got covered with a powdery corrosion. Before I drop this motor in my car I definitely have to do something with it. It's winter and I'm hibernating cos I hate the cold, so I have lots of time to kill. So far it hasn't cost me $100 to get it lookin where it is now. I think I'm wasting neither time nor money.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Now that this is going in my car it will never see salt again, it's inside from November til April :)
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40

Return to “Appearance”