Custom clear LED Turn signal.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Urbanconcept

Custom clear LED Turn signal.

Post by Urbanconcept »

So I got bored once again and decided to start another LED project... I got bored of my 2nd LED tail project and also decided to go a different route with that. So instead I picked up some more LED truck parts from the local princess auto. This time however I decided to cut out the circuit board and mount it within the stock housing. I then cut out the clear lense from the truck housing and mounted it to the amber turn signal lense. I cut a hole in the amber lense so that the clear lense would be visible. The only things left to do are CF wrap the amber lense (or paint it), seal up the back of the housing (I had to cut a bit to fit the circuit board to fit across the light housing), and re-seal the lense back to the housing.

circuit board removed from the truck housing

circuit board mounted into the stock turn signal housing

clear lense over the stock housing

clear lense behind the amber lense to draw the stencil before cutting

amber lense cut and clear lense mounted

Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Custom clear LED Turn signal.

Post by fowljesse »

So, you're going to cover the amber part with Carbon Fiber? That will be cool. I want to see it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I'm interested as well. It would be awsome if you painted the Amber part of the lense the same color as your car. Also, Only thing I see wrong is you can actually see the motherboard thing in the back of the lights... Probally not gonna be able to see them once on the car and all, but overall... It's an awsome job.
See, this is why I would love to learn how to mess with electrical stuff. Always so many things you can play with and all.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

haha. Just so you guys know I posted it up in multiple areas of the forums for greater feedback. Not everyone looks into each forum.

So far I haven't decided on what I'm going to do with the amber part. I don't have any paint left over from when I painted my car, so that prob won't be happening (though it would be a sick idea and match my custom tails). I'm going to look into getting some CF off a friend, but that would also require me getting the clear resin. I'd really like to keep the cost down on this, making it easier for others to try too. I might just spray them black. I'll work that out after I've completely finished the light housing. I'm still working out a few bugs. I also have to figure out how to re-seal them. I dont want to put the lense and housing back into the oven with the circuit board in it, so I have to figure out another way to do it. Any suggestions?
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

You spoke of custom tails... Gotta pic?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

There's a thread....

Here's the link:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=60731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Wtf... That is straight up mad, sick!

Very... Very awsome job. I hate messing with fiberglass and bondo, so if your like me.. you stuck in there and got 'er done. May we see other ideas in that head? You do nice work bro, and i love to see s--- like that. Ever thought of doing another design on some tails?... im interested and will pay.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

How much did the led lights cost?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Urbanconcept wrote:haha. Just so you guys know I posted it up in multiple areas of the forums for greater feedback. Not everyone looks into each forum.

So far I haven't decided on what I'm going to do with the amber part. I don't have any paint left over from when I painted my car, so that prob won't be happening (though it would be a sick idea and match my custom tails). I'm going to look into getting some CF off a friend, but that would also require me getting the clear resin. I'd really like to keep the cost down on this, making it easier for others to try too. I might just spray them black. I'll work that out after I've completely finished the light housing. I'm still working out a few bugs. I also have to figure out how to re-seal them. I dont want to put the lense and housing back into the oven with the circuit board in it, so I have to figure out another way to do it. Any suggestions?
Do NOT post this in other areas.. others were deleted. Post cleaned.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

The oval LED lights cost $29.99 each plus tax. The smaller round ones I used in my taillights were somewhere around $6.99 I think.

SmoothMX3--- I might be interested in making another set of tails. Its a huuuuuge amount of work though. I have one idea that doesn't involve and fiberglass. Let me know what you have in mind and we can discuss cost and all that.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

why don't you just leave all the little clear lenses behind an all clear mx-3 lense? I think it would still give you the LED effect when on then when off it still looks like an mx-3...

interesting concept nevertheless and I guess I'll have to see the finished product to be a believer haha - good luck with it! :D
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

I had asked what color the LEDs were but I guess that might have been in another thread that got cleaned up. This is a very cool set up, and I actually have a couple of LED set ups that I had bought for my YZF before I got ran over.

Is there regulations on what colors you can use? I know you cant use BLUE since that is for emergency vehicles but I believe my sets are RED cuz they were for the tail lights. Or is that determined state by state? Deminsions they are 3 inches long, 1.5 inches wide so I think they would mount very nicely into that housing.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

white yellow and green (maybe purple) you could get away with in most states... anything else and you risk being pulled over + ticket.

I always carry 2 spare orange bulbs in case the don't agree with my white LED's.
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Mooneggs wrote:white yellow and green (maybe purple) you could get away with in most states... anything else and you risk being pulled over + ticket.

I always carry 2 spare orange bulbs in case the don't agree with my white LED's.
What about the light "Movement"? I dont know how else to ask it but say like KITT on Knightrider... Can have lights move in a series from in to out on a blinker or is that looking to get a ticket? Is this determined by the board if you can have that funtion or do you just get some kind of controller that would regulate that?

This whole subject intrigues me since I LOVE lighting inside and out. I know that about 90% of the stuff I have planned to add on the interior cant even be turned on while driving but I think it looks great when just sitting back and BSing or whatever.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

X3RCKT wrote: What about the light "Movement"? I dont know how else to ask it but say like KITT on Knightrider... Can have lights move in a series from in to out on a blinker or is that looking to get a ticket? Is this determined by the board if you can have that funtion or do you just get some kind of controller that would regulate that?
I know I used to have the flashing rotating bulbs in my brakelights and I had to take those out when I got pulled over... I know motorcycles can have those. As far as the front signals I would think that you could have an indicator with motion the way you are turning if it makes sense (and is the correct color) but not just random flashing like a strobe.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”