nsklzemx3 - 1993 MX-3 GS ***LONG MAY YOU RUN***

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Whisper

Re: n00b

Post by Whisper »

nsklzemx3 wrote:Compression across all six was between 170 and 175.
Way ahead of schedule....engine is on the stand and tranny is on the floor.
Minor disassembly and cleaning/painting next, along with new timing belt.
Still looking for an ECU if anyone can help!!
pics to follow :)
Eh? Compression's a bit low for a ZE. Should be around 200, innit? You sure you tested it right?

As for ECU, chip the K8 one, and you'll be ok. Ryan a.k.a. Probinator will get you a custom chip (specific for curved neck/JE50 VAF) made for $40, or if you send him your ECU, his guy will install the chip for an extra $20.
se7en

Post by se7en »

mx3autozam wrote:Ya that looks like a curve neck klze. only downside of those is they have kl01 cams which are same as us spec klde. Put some kl31 cams in it if you want the full potential out of it without aftermarket cam regrinds. Look around in the classifieds if you want a set.
Whisper wrote:Eh? Compression's a bit low for a ZE. Should be around 200, innit? You sure you tested it right?
170-175psi is normal for curved neck ze I think....
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Whisper wrote:
Eh? Compression's a bit low for a ZE. Should be around 200, innit? You sure you tested it right?

As for ECU, chip the K8 one, and you'll be ok. Ryan a.k.a. Probinator will get you a custom chip (specific for curved neck/JE50 VAF) made for $40, or if you send him your ECU, his guy will install the chip for an extra $20.

I've already talked to Ryan and checked my EPROM..I have the wrong one and it can't be chipped.
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

My Aloha 8.2: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t258/1981aloha27/Aloha 8.2
Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

se7en wrote:
mx3autozam wrote:Ya that looks like a curve neck klze. only downside of those is they have kl01 cams which are same as us spec klde. Put some kl31 cams in it if you want the full potential out of it without aftermarket cam regrinds. Look around in the classifieds if you want a set.
Whisper wrote:Eh? Compression's a bit low for a ZE. Should be around 200, innit? You sure you tested it right?
170-175psi is normal for curved neck ze I think....
My test ran 190-210 on my curved neck.. I was under the impresion that it should be all around 200-220.. (info from porbtalk)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

se7en wrote: 170-175psi is normal for curved neck ze I think....
As far as I know the difference between the curved and straight neck ZEs is the cams and obviously the IM. Don't see why there would be a difference in compression. A DE would have lower compression.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

nsklzemx3 wrote:
I've already talked to Ryan and then checked my EPROM..I have the wrong one and mine can't be chipped. Otherwise I wouldn't have been asking around for over a week.
Oh, ok, never mind. So you're gonna try to find a different K8 ECU? Any junkers around you?
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

nsklzemx3 wrote:Im new and have read extensively through the forums and have become totally confused lol.
Here's the poop. I have a 93 Canadian version MX3 with the 1.8 and manual tranny. As with most 1.8's (so I've been told) shes starting to smoke and is in need of a rebuild.
So last spring a guy approached me in Tim Hortons parking lot complimenting me on my fresh paint and rims and asked if I wanted another one like her. He claimed his had a KLZE, stage 3 clutch, monza exhaust, new axles and spindles and more, all for $1000... because when he took her for paint he found out EVERYTHING was rusted out and it wasn't worth patching up. His daddy told him to abandon the project and he'd get him something else to play with. I decided to wait a few weeks and call with a lowball offer. Well...I lost his number. That was 6-8 months ago.
So, a couple weeks ago I decided to try and track him down, and found he sold it....and the buyer sold it....and the next buyer sold it. Each buyer taking what he wanted.....mostly glass, doors and exhaust. I found it and got what was left for $200.00!!...EVERYTHING for the drivetrain is there except the exhaust :)
So....if i get some pics and find some numbers, could one of you fine gentlemen tell me what I need (in the right combination) to get the 200 (199?) HP that I'm told I can expect? My main concerns are the EGR valve, VRIS, ECU (ECM) & the MAF sensor and how they all work together. Maybe I have everything already except the proper ECU??
I'm "probably" going to need something that is next to impossible to find any longer lol, but the new engine is going in, no matter what. I hope someone can untangle my mind for me :P
Pics soon!
Thanks ppl :)
WOW... You Stole it
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Ok I got an ECU from a very helpful guy who even opened it up and took a pic of the board so I could send it to Ryan (Probinator). It turned out to be the right one so it was shipped by the seller straight to Ryan and will be sent back to my addy. $40 for the ECU and $90 for chipping....all shipping included. Ryan is setting it up for an MX3 with curve-neck VRIS points considering headers, a CAI and 2.5" exhaust. He claims with his chip you don't need the J50 VAF to get the same results.

Now, my next dilemma
....I am making a custom CAI from a 93 Acura kit off ebay. My question - where/how do I install it in the CAI? Should it be nearer the filter end or the TB end of the run? I assume I make the connections with silicone tubing adaptors. Does anyone have pics of their VAF/MAF install into a custom CAI?

'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Check the worklogs and you will find some pic's... I have a couple with the acura intake. not the best pic's but might help you..

Check half way down or so.. I have mine just befor the elbow that runs down to the fender where the air filter is.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=45
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Kirk95gs wrote:Check the worklogs and you will find some pic's... I have a couple with the acura intake. not the best pic's but might help you..

Check half way down or so.. I have mine just befor the elbow that runs down to the fender where the air filter is.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=45
Hey thanks for the pics they give me an idea where to place it. I didn't know if velocity readings would be sensitive to position in the tube. i'm still not clear on how to tie it in. i thought i was thinking ahead when i ordered 3"-2.5" silicone tube adaptors, but they still arent big enough.

wtf is the deal on the intake airflow anyway. is there really any point in increasing intake OR exhaust gas flow volumes as long as you have the darned MAF itself blocking 40% of the airpath??
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
se7en

Post by se7en »

Whisper wrote:
se7en wrote: 170-175psi is normal for curved neck ze I think....
As far as I know the difference between the curved and straight neck ZEs is the cams and obviously the IM. Don't see why there would be a difference in compression. A DE would have lower compression.
Just for the record, cranking compression is dependant on a few things.

For instance:

the compression like you stated(obviously of course)
the camshaft profile(overlap, duration, lift, etc)
and of course, adjustable cam gears and valve lash(on mechanical user adjustable solid lifter cams)

To explain, camshaft has a large affect on cranking compression because it can let extra compressed air escape if it has a lot of overlap(beneficial in high RPM). Also, like in turbo cams, it can trap more air in be closing the intake valve sooner, thus having less overlap and more compression shiwing on the gauge.

Mostly it just says that, the longer the valve is open, and not overlaping with the exhaust valve, the more cranking compression an engine can make with a said amount of piston compression.

Now cam gears and valve lash can affect cranking compress the same way. They both can affect how and when the valve is opening(albet on a less grand scale).

I hope that clears everything up.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

I'm trying to spend money on what would be hard to do after the install and I'm on a budget so I wasn't even sure if I'd do headers before it went on the road. Whats 80 bucks right??
And if they're junk who cares.
I have to say I was really shocked when they arrived ($65 shipping to Canada) to see how heavy they're built. Very thick and flat machined flanges. They're welded inside and out around the runners at the head flange. Seems like really heavy tubing.
So far I'm crazy impressed for $80. Maybe they'll only last a week....but then again, I thought they'd even feel like junk in my hand and they don't!
And before anyone asks...yes there welded thoroughly at the collectors....even in the middle!! lol
Option Racing on eBay
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

You will be happy with them man. Really opens the exhaust up.

Will have to go on a run this summer in NS! Check out Lowmotion.org if your not on it already on it. Lots of people from NS,NB,PEI on there.

This seems to be turning into a worklong.
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Kirk95gs wrote:This seems to be turning into a worklong.
Yeah will a mod move it for me please??

And yeah a run sounds like a blast. I'll check the web site thanks :)
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
se7en

Post by se7en »

ya,I have those headers too.....I just have a different downpipe(turbo)

:)

They are really good quality surprisingly.

My Feedback

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”