Where to find prices on a new 1.8 V6 engine

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Norwegian81

Where to find prices on a new 1.8 V6 engine

Post by Norwegian81 »

What the Topic says realy, hopfully somone knows a good site in Europe or som company willing
to ship to Europe.

I also wonder if it's possible to buy a new from mazda and what the price would be in USA, Canada or England.
In Norway I know it will be way to expencive.

I've been searching the internet on and off for about 6 months now, and all I've found (regarding new engines) realy looks suspicius. Any help is welcomed ;)

Regards
Norwegian81
wytbishop

Re: Where to find prices on a new 1.8 V6 engine

Post by wytbishop »

I have seen an importer on the East coast of Canada importing JDM K8 engines with (supposedly) low km's for $400CDN + shipping. There must be someone local to you that could find you a solid engine from Japan. Or just have your engine rebuilt.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Local in Norway is out of the question knowing that parts here are realy expencive (so much tax uppon tax).

And I dont know if I could putt in a JDM K8 becouse of the extra (however small) HP gain. I read on a Norwegian forum that uppgrading to a KL-DE or a KL-ZE would cost around 6000 USD just in tax, and that is just if you can get Mazda to give you some official papers that the car will support it and you uppgrade the brakes and so on and so forth. However I do not know if this is true, I gues Nope-mx3 knows more about this than me. I also have no clue if anyone has done a KL-DE or a KL-ZE swap leagaly here.

On a sidenote: I just read an article dated 03.10.07 found here http://www.adressa.no/forbruker/bil/article953641.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in norwegian) about a guy having to pay 60 000 USD in taxes for increasing HP from 200 HP to 380 HP (this was discovered after a friend of his crased the car). They recon the car would produce 650 HP if the intercooler and wastgate-valve wassent damaged in the crash, if they had tested it to be 650 HP the cost in tax would be 97 000 USD. LOL.

Norwegian81
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Norwegian81 wrote:Local in Norway is out of the question knowing that parts here are realy expencive (so much tax uppon tax).

And I dont know if I could putt in a JDM K8 becouse of the extra (however small) HP gain. I read on a Norwegian forum that uppgrading to a KL-DE or a KL-ZE would cost around 6000 USD just in tax, and that is just if you can get Mazda to give you some official papers that the car will support it and you uppgrade the brakes and so on and so forth. However I do not know if this is true, I gues Nope-mx3 knows more about this than me. I also have no clue if anyone has done a KL-DE or a KL-ZE swap leagaly here.

On a sidenote: I just read an article dated 03.10.07 found here http://www.adressa.no/forbruker/bil/article953641.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in norwegian) about a guy having to pay 60 000 USD in taxes for increasing HP from 200 HP to 380 HP (this was discovered after a friend of his crased the car). They recon the car would produce 650 HP if the intercooler and wastgate-valve wassent damaged in the crash, if they had tested it to be 650 HP the cost in tax would be 97 000 USD. LOL.

Norwegian81
I don't know how the taxes work in Norway, but this wouldn't be an upgrade. The JDM 1.8L engine is exactly the same with the possible exception of the EGR system I would think. I don't know if the taxes are based on HP, but there would be no increase in HP and very little difference from that to your original engine. Is it not possible to have the engine rebuilt to original spec by a shop where you live? Is it just the cost? If so, I think having an engine built to stock spec in another country and shipping it in would be just as expensive.

I'd still say that you could get a good low km engine from Japan which would swap right in and be exactly the same as stock easier than finding a new engine anywhere.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

WARNING: Rambling and booring reading below as I have no time to edit... ARG the Video store is closing in 30 min... Must rush...

I'm guesing you'r right in that importing a low km, engine is the best (I would prefer a new one tho). The tax if import one my self is 25% of the engine cost (not sure if the calculate in what it cost to ship it). Geting it done at a garage here I have no clue. I phoned around when i replaced the head gaskets, and for just changing them mazda would take 3800 USD the job and estimated about 8000 USD if the block was cracked. and that was the cheepest place, next cheepest i found was 4070 USD (sett price) and they would replace gaskets, waterpump and timingbelt. I decided to do it my self and it cost me about 600 USD. Anyway, it dident sort the problem, I changed waterpump, valve-stem seals, head gaskets and all the other gaskets. But it looks like the block is cracked, I have the oppertunety to get a friend to see if he can fix it by welding but that meens I'll hawe to ripp it upp again and live without a car for a month or so. So I rather have him do that when I get a new motor in the car.

Norwegian81
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If your block is cracked I would not even try to repair it.

I found this in England in 3 minutes. Even if it's not perfect, it's only 150quid and it sounds like you could slide it in yourself. There are probably others in the EU but I don't have any other languages to look up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-1-8-v6-24-v ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd jump on that. It's a direct bolt in. At least then you'd be running again.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Well, thanks, for the tip ;) it's cheep but no postage on it, only local pick up :(

My car is runing, but it uses about a liter of oil pr. full gas tank. (for the love of me i cant figure out how it can).

I'll search until i find one that I like ;) well I've found one for £400 stated as new (guesing they mean "like new"). But the shop selling it got some realy angry custumers.

I'll also check with Mazda to se if it's possible to get an engine from them and what the cost is, just for fun.

Regards
Norwegian81
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Umm, why not buy the £150 engine and pick it up? How expensive would that be??

The power difference in the JDM K8's is largely down to higher octane fuel and the conversion difference between PS and BHP, and being 10-15 yrs old i doubt they would produce more than a new E-spec K8 anyway
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Flea

Post by Flea »

You could try to contact Lucky star motors out of Toronto, Canada. They have a connection with a Japanese salvage yard and could possibly set up a shipment of an engine from Japan to Norway instead of Toronto, Canada to Norway.

Just a thought.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”