probe pipe size vs k8 pipe size.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxer666

probe pipe size vs k8 pipe size.

Post by mxer666 »

hey, im in need of a new flex tube on my down pipe and with my plans i should be doing a swap soon enough ive got a question. on the ebay webpage there are probe headders and a down pipe is the probe downpipe the same size as the k8's? like where it would bolt to the headders and cat, are the pipe sizes any different?

I think so because the engine sizes are different, thus meaning bigger piping is required for the larger engine. I also read someone while i was searching that i would have to move the cat back more? the down pipes for the k8 and probe look pretty similar in legenth and i dont know why i would have to move them.

as well as for $68 what kind of quality are they? anyone baught them before?

thanks.
se7en

Re: probe pipe size vs k8 pipe size.

Post by se7en »

okay, I bought the turbo pipes and headers from ebay(for the probe), and the downpipe on my mx-3 is about 4 inches longer at the converter junction. I just rewelded the cat 4 inches farther back. Piece of cake.

I hear the headers are the same as far as the location of the cat junctions because the probe has a 4 inch longer wheelbase.

I hope that helps.

Oh yeah, the quality was surprisingly really good. I am used to the weak a-- flanges that you get for v8 headers, and these headers had really good thick flanges.

I was surprised to say the least.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

99% of people go with the probe/mx-6 headers. As Se7en staited you will have to move your cat back a little, 4"-6" or so. I ran probe headers for about 4 or 5 years on my k8 with no issues. Just take it to a exhaust shop and tell them you want it installed and they will do it for you. Dont tell them its for another car cause the might not install it. Just tell them they might have to move the cat back a little.

Or you could mount it yourself, messure the distance between the two and get a shop to make you up a pipe with 2 flanges to fit between the two.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

what about the mx6 / probe headers ... but in a K8 ?
will it improve power, or just more custom work in the exhaust ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

it will improve power, how much varies on what else is done. it wont be a hudge gain but there will be some. there is not a lot of custom work. Just what was staited Se7en's and my post. Like I said I ran Probe/mx6 2.5 headers for 4 or 5 years on my k8 as many other have with no issues. makes the car sound great and alows the exhaust to flow better then the small restrictive manifolds.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

the only problem is to get mx6/probe headers shipped to my country :(
through Ebay i pay my a-- off in customs :(
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
mxer666

Post by mxer666 »

ok so thats good to know.

Seven, did you buy the v6 or the 4 bangers headders and down pipe? im not sure if u turboed the 4 banger or the v6. What are the gaskets like?

So i understand that ill have to move the cat back a bit now. doesnt bother me cuz i want to get a new cat anyways. its just that from the cat back is new so i guess ill have to get it cut and welded before the resonator. no biggie.

as for the headders, i heard that its a b**** to remove them with the engine in the car but ill have access to a hoist so ill be able to get right under. would i ahve to remove anything to get the headders off? The only thing that worries me of removing the headders it that im probably going to end up breaking a bolt in the block and then ill be screwed. anyone have any tips for preventing this? easy-outs never work for me......

Thanks for the help.
se7en

Post by se7en »

okay, I can help here I think.....
I turbo'd the v6.

first off, if you remove the vris solenoids and actuators, the rear manifold isn't too hard to get off.

The front one is not too bad.
usually the header-head nuts come off pretty easy. but the manifold to downpipe bolts will usually break, but that doesn't matter cuz your not reusing it anyway :)

also, I did it all with a jack and axle stands.

good luck.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”