Elliottferrell's 93 GS SE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
elliottferrell

Elliottferrell's 93 GS SE

Post by elliottferrell »

Hello, thanks for taking the time to stop and look at my page. I'm the proud owner of a 93 GS SE. I purchased the car a few years back when I read an article in a mag about these being the best bang for the buck. I researched around the internet and found myself here within the first few minutes. I'd like to thank everyone who has posted here before me, you've helped me solve simple and also tough problem. So here we go i guess....
Here's second day with my car in the driveway. Hate to admit that i had those enkel rims 2 weeks before i even had the car.

This was day one..

Sorry for not having many photos... the weather is currently horrid and garage pictures never seam to do the trick..

Right now i'm looking into buying a cold air intake and possibly attempting a turbo install..
I'm a poor college kid like many of you out there and times are tough right now till the weather breaks...
93 Special Edition MX-3, 17-inch enkel rims, Infinity 6x9's custom in back armrests, cold-air, and of course some killer paint chips...
91 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4, Borla exhaust, Kenwood 7inch, Eagle F-1 rubbers.. Sunday Driving only....
85 Jeep CJ7, stroked 258... 3 inch life with 33's... all the goodies to get muddy.... and i get to ride "topless"
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Elliottferrell's 93 GS SE

Post by Kirk95gs »

Hey nice GS man.. rims are ok. you need to lower your car a bit.. looks like your ready to go off roading!! haha

very clean car man..
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, nice! Perfect lip... How many miles on it? Let's see the interior!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

i wouldn't say its a perfect lip anymore.. like many members, those damn raccoons like our mx-3's... i was looking at some photos and saw someone who had "what i'd like to say" bondo'ed the front lip.. its looks great though.... way better than stock.... I'll try to get some photo's of my stock interior and the stereo up tomorrow.. thanks for commenting though....
93 Special Edition MX-3, 17-inch enkel rims, Infinity 6x9's custom in back armrests, cold-air, and of course some killer paint chips...
91 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4, Borla exhaust, Kenwood 7inch, Eagle F-1 rubbers.. Sunday Driving only....
85 Jeep CJ7, stroked 258... 3 inch life with 33's... all the goodies to get muddy.... and i get to ride "topless"
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

not trying to double post but now that i think about it... Kirk you were the designer of that front lip i saw... how did you do it?
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Haha yeah when I was reading that I said.. man that sounds like my ordeal with the racoon.... Wait a second.. hahah

It's in my work log..

here is the short version.

I cut out the center divider, a small peice of fiber glass cloth and resin over the side markers. then filled in the housing with that (cat hair fiberglass goop stuff) lol. Placed thing a thing long strip of fiber cloth over the lip and onto the bumper. applied the resin. ( I did this 2 times ) then placed a couple layers of resin 2 or 3 more. then used body putty to smooth out the tranition from the lip to the bumper and over the side markers..sanded.. applied a layer of primer and and a couple coats of paint. some couple coats of clear and I was done.. It came out really nice.. I had the car up for sale for a little while and I had 5-6 fellow mxers ask where I got the new bumper from.. LOL..

THen I hit the racoon and it cracked the front lip. just where the two peices join. Next time I will put a couple more layers of cloth on and do the back of the lip aswell.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

im in love with your rims. A friend of mine had some on his civic. They looked sweeet!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

to answer a few questions and add to my story.... I bought my first 92 GS with 170,000 from my cousin back in 02. I hadn't but owned the car for a week or two and the transmission went out.

I found out later that the cv axle seal on the drivers side was pretty much gone and my cousin ( having no knowledge of cars at the time) just kept driving it till the transmission was mush. Sports in high school kept me pretty busy but i found time to buy my GS SE in 04. This car was originally from Florida and still till this day is rust free. It was completely stock when i bought the car for a mer 300 dollars off a no sale deal on ebay. I had it shipped from Florida to Illinois a week later for about 400 dollars and thats where it all began. For 700 dollars i had a V6, 5-speed, special edition, and an empty pocket. When I got the car it wasn't quite what i was expecting. On the front seat was a note from the previous owner and the title.
The note read as follows...
I apologize if you haven't already seen but i lost both sets of keys for the car. you'll have to get them made or find replacements.... also when i loaded the car it didn't sound like it was running right. I hope there is nothing major wrong.. thanks again

So i read this and I'm kinda in shock.. :shock: i can't even start the car or consider to diagnose the problem. I had keys made at this old time key shop in the local city that same day. Well when it came down to it.... it seemed as though from what i had diagnosed that i had a knocking rod or something else.......... I'm sitting here with 2 broken cars and a broken heart. :crying:

I knew i had to keep the Florida car but i needed to swap motors and do some cleaning up... I considered upping to the 2.5 when i did this but limited funding cut me short.
About a year later i had a sprint of ambition and I spent about a day tearing the motor out of the 92 GS and cleaning
grease grease grease... but thats what you get from a high millage mx-3..... Then i tore the motor out of the 93 and ripped the pan of to see if i was right.. well i was right in one aspect.. a rod bearing had magically disappeared and that motor was in the rebuild pile. I cleaned and pressure washed and cleaned more and finally got everything to my liking. for some reason I didn't take pictures of the swap. So now were up to date on the past of the cars. If i remember right the SE has about 200,000 on it now but it still runs like a champ... It's my daily driver for right now.. I commute to the community college a few towns over. I revamped the whole stereo over the past summer and i think it sounds alright. I cut out and installed 6 1/2 infinity kappa's in the doors then redid the wiring back to my 4 channel rockford fosgate. Then i cut in 6x9 infinity kappa 3-ways in the back arm rest... pictures to come soon...... after that i built a box and put in my JL Audio W3 V2's...... For a while i had a 7 inch touchscreen kenwood head-unit. The pixels started to go out on that and it bugged me way to much.. now I've got a stealth-faced sony in there till i can afford a new head unit..... I'll try and get pictures of stuff up tommorow if i can.....

thanks smooth for the rims comment... i too am in love.......
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Welcome ...
It sounds to me like you traveled along ways. If all that didn't stop you, I take it we're in for a quite a show, eh?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Any updates on your MX SE? And for $300, that a nice deal, though it was in not so good condition.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

holy hell has it been a while since i've been on here.. i honestly forgot i even made a work log... stuff has changed quite a bit since this..... I'm still rocking the gs..... 3rd motor though and still haven't made the klze swap.. yes i know i'm kicking myself in the butt.. but i'm still a poor college kid. i found the last K8 for 400 bucks.. the most recent motor only has 40,000 on it.... i just did the swap last weekend.. i'll post some pics later if i find some time.... It's missing like crazy.. but sure enough.. that damn disty is the culprit... i'm thinkin about the Hei mod. but i'm gonna try another disty i have laying around sometime this week... i'm glad i found this again.. i miss reading the war stories..... continue to rock out.....
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

very nice SE man. its nice to see other people with SE's in raspberry metallic on here because very few people have them. i really like the way those rims look very clean. im still waiting to get a set of new rims myself.
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

This is the aftermath after pulling the motor...

I purchased a steam cleaner and used that on not only the motor but also the engine compartment... this is the motor right after dropping it in... The steam cleaner gets up over 220 dregees and melts the grease and nasty's with no problem... only bad deal is that i live in northwest illinois and last time i checked it was like 6 degrees outside.. so lets just say i'm still froze....

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Wow, I wanna get one of those.. Was it a small machine or some massive thing?
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

its about the size of a modene heater.. it stands up vertically and runs on LP..... i paid just over 2000 for it... but i use it every week... something always needs cleaning.. it was actually designed to kill bacteria in horse stalls... but it takes grease and dirt off very well....

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”