Problem with Acceleration

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
street101

Problem with Acceleration

Post by street101 »

i have a 92 mazda mx-3 gs, i bought it from my dad and it was sitting for a long long time. so i started it up it ran fine but my alternator went out. so today i changed my alternator and took off the old intake and put on a new cold air intake. i put engine cleaner on it and washed it off and then after a bit i started the car up and it acted kinda weird. it will idle ok but as soon as i press the accel it acts like its flooded or it wants to die. i cant figure out what it is. anyone might have a clue?
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Problem with Acceleration

Post by Kirk95gs »

Did you cover up your distributor or any other electrical befor you clean/washed your motor? if not you might have to wait for it to dry. check and see if you got any water down the plug holes. check all you connections.
elliottferrell

Post by elliottferrell »

Wet spark plugs or plug wires could be the problem.....bring it in a garage and let it warm up if available.. also check all your vacuum connections.. water in those could possibly cause it....
93 Special Edition MX-3, 17-inch enkel rims, Infinity 6x9's custom in back armrests, cold-air, and of course some killer paint chips...
91 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4, Borla exhaust, Kenwood 7inch, Eagle F-1 rubbers.. Sunday Driving only....
85 Jeep CJ7, stroked 258... 3 inch life with 33's... all the goodies to get muddy.... and i get to ride "topless"
street101

Post by street101 »

well the car has been running on idle for about the past 20 min and its still doing the same problem, i thought maybe it might be the cold air intake on there. so i put back on the old one but it still did the same crap. but im letting all the old gas run out.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Yeah thats a good idea..should change the oil, along with the filter and fule filter. Put some injector cleaner through it or octane booster will help. Regular maint. stuff...
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Did you remove the Volume Air Flow Sensor when you installed the cold air intake?
Cody
street101

Post by street101 »

i got it running better now, the cold air intake i put on actually messed it up, like when i put on the cold air intake on it just wouldnt accel, so i tried putting the original intake back on, and for some reason it worked, and then i changed my spark plugs, the spark plugs in there were shot to hell, it runs alot better now, its still gotta little sputter to it but i think its still the bad gas feeding through, i put 18 bucks of 91 in and put in some heat so hopefully it will start flowing through soon
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

There may be water in your spark plug wells from washing the engine, it happens to me all the time. Blow it out with compressed air. This water shorts the spark to the block, and makes the car run like crap, guaranteed.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

do all the regular main't on it, first off check your cap and rotor, then change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter. Check to see if the coolant is fine.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”