Overheats,

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Derek_Hart

Overheats,

Post by Derek_Hart »

I'd like to first apologize for [probably] posting this in the wrong section. My Mazda is my first car, and I've had it all of four days. I don't know a thing about cars, except how to fill one up with gas and check the oil.

I've got a fairly keen '92 Mx-3. It starts up fine, idles high, but otherwise does not have too much trouble starting up.

However, when I take it for a spin, after about five minutes of riding at normal speeds, it begins to overheat. By the time I get the car home, I can smell burning all around, and I have to let it rest for 2-3 hours before I can repeat the process. Naturally, I do not do this often.

I've studied the problem elsewhere, and it seems it could be a thermostat in need of replacement, or a head gasket is leaking/broken. How do I check either option without purchasing the other and hoping it works? Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Also, when I begin to brake, the brakes jump around a little. I expect hesitance from any old car like this one, but the pedal and the car literally wiggle beneath me. I looked up another topic with the same problem, but I have no idea what the acronyms mean or how to check the differences between the various 'types of shaking'. Perhaps somebody could clarify for me?
While he opens a wee door wide in his overall armour. He then shows you a change slot bore where his appendix would be and says, softly, 'see how' - he too had been bit by the audience once.
mx3autozam

Re: Overheats,

Post by mx3autozam »

Change the thermostat it is cheap. Then go from there. check your coolant does it have air bubbles? Doing a compression test can show yiou if itsa headgasket sometimes. does the exahust smell like coolant? You can also have a leak down test done but will need to take it to a shop and pay for that.

But you said it does it right away, after like 5minutes, i'm going to say thermostat. Change it. If you want you can even take it out and test it. just boil water on your stove, the t stat shoudl open at 180degre's....lol..yes i've done this.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”