Weird steering after strut tower bar.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Weird steering after strut tower bar.

Post by fowljesse »

After putting on strut tower bars, my steering is a little strange. When doing sweeping turns, that require the wheels to be held steady, it seems to want to wander a tiny bit. This is on my stock GS, and one with completely upgraded suspension. Is this normal? It doesn't feel dangerous at all, just maybe the car is designed to flex as part of the driving comfortability.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Weird steering after strut tower bar.

Post by Mooneggs »

someone correct me if I'm wrong but by adding strut bars doesn't it affect oversteer/understeer?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I don't think strut tower bars affect understeer/oversteer balance that much, if at all. Swaybars on the other hand do.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends on the bar and the car. I know with my CorkSport front bar it *significanty* reduced understeer, and I did miss it when I had to remove it after my ZE swap (until we figured a way to mount it to clear the IM). The rear doesn't do too much except when I'm autocrossing. I know some people got the cheap eBay strut bars and didn't really notice a difference, you do get what you pay for.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Mine is about 3x as thick as CorkSport. It greatly improved understeer, but it feels like the wheels want to "kick" a nano-bit side to side, when held steady in a turn.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Just a thought, perhaps a strut came unseated when you installed the strut bar??

But the strut bar IS supposed to make the car understeer, maybe it is just too stiff? try knocking the front tyre pressure back a lil
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

you have the symptoms of a bad wheel alignment. take your car in to an alignment shop and see what they have to say... just dont let them sell you the moon
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The car was just aligned, and runs perfectly straight. I was thinking, though, the toe might be off, like maybe too much in... I'll have it looked at. I'm sure the struts are seated... I think maybe the bar is too stiff, too.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”