battery tie down J-HOOK PLACEMENT

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dubspeed

battery tie down J-HOOK PLACEMENT

Post by dubspeed »

Seems my battery tray is missing a piece?? I cant find where to put the J-HOOK on the drivers side? Is there a metal piece that attaches to the tray itself that has the hole for the J-HOOK???? This is probably the lamest question ever, but i must have the piece, but am unsure what it looks like? ANY PICS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL! Thanks in advance
solo_ryder

Re: battery tie down J-HOOK PLACEMENT

Post by solo_ryder »

This is more of a general mx3 question, not a v6 one..

Anyways, yea there is a hole to put the hook through just like on the pass side, should be part of the tray
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

there is a J hook on each side the one on the driver's side is about half as long as the other side...
dubspeed

Post by dubspeed »

both the battery trays i have (92 and a 93) have only 1 place for the j-hook? the drivers side isnt there on either of them? it worked b4 the swap? its gotta b a seperate piece, or a bolted on piece for the drivers side j-hook? i have the spare 1 in my hand, and dont c any hole, or any place for the hook? it sure looks like sumthing does bolt on to it, cause it worked b4?? unsure what i did with the piece, or even if i knew what it looked like that is...lol...any help again is much appreciated... ill try to post a pic and put this Q in the general section...but if i forget to, please dont b mad :)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

lol it's ok... post a pic... I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow :D
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

WTB section..
dubspeed

Post by dubspeed »

here is a pic of the battery tray...seems a piece goes onto it(the part that the j-bolt goes into on drivers side)...anybody have a diff piece? it would be the piece im missing...The scrapyards dont have them left as the motors have been removed, MAZDA wants $50CAN for a new tray...:(

dubspeed

Post by dubspeed »

here is another pic of the tray...hopefully itll b largewr than the last...

[img=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2896/batttraypicxxxplainoo7.th.jpg]

its gotta b a metal piece, or a tough plastic part hat bolts to the tray itself? thanks again for the replies.
dubspeed

Post by dubspeed »

hi barry...whas wtb section?

do you know what part im talking about? If u have a sec. could you take a peek on your car where the j-hook attaches on the drivers side of the battery?
Or if anyone could check it out for me?
A pic would be awesome and i must have 2 of them, Biggest problem is Im just unsure what it looks like???
thanls again :)
dubspeed

Post by dubspeed »

PLEASE IF SOMEONE COULD THIS WEEKEND, REMOVE THE BATTERY FROM THIER CAR AND SEE WHAT HOLDS DOWN THE BATTERY TIEDOWN ON THE DRIVERS SIDE....PLEASE AND THANKS IN ADVANCE...THE ROADS REALLY SUCK AND THE BATTERY REALLY THROWS AROUND UNDER THE HOOD, WHICH CANT BE THE BEST THING FOR THE BATTERY, OR EVEN TAKE A CLOSE-UP OF THE PIECE HOLDING THE J-HOOK ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE BATTERY! IVE POSTED THIS EXACT MESSAGE IN THE GENERAL q'S, WITH NO REPLIES SO FAR...HOPEFULLY THIS WEEKEND SOMEONE COULD TAKE THE TIME AND HELP ME OUT...THANKS AGAIN
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

mine has an eyelet for the J-hook on both sides. I know this because I changed the battery a couple weeks ago. My guess is that it is spot welded to the underside of the tray. You wouldn't want a bolt sticking up through the tray right?

You probably broke the spot weld and lost the eyelet. If you have a spare eyelet, get a buddy with a welder to burn it on...or find some other way to attach it that won't interfere with the battery.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

the piece that holds the other side is broken off on your tray...you already know it's a some type of hook to hold the J right? logic would tell you to try and fabricate something to hold a J :roll: ... if you can't figure out some way to fix it on your own then you need to post a WTB since there are none in your junkyards...

I've got a spare tray but it's not at my house therfore I don't know if the piece you need is attached.

this is the best shot I have:
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

advance auto parts sells a universal battery hold down kit w/ new j hooks it is like $10 or you can pocket one at the junkyard
dubspeed

Post by dubspeed »

thanks for the responces...Crazy thing here is that i took both batteries out of each car for the swap, by the pics, it looks as if the j hook is tied down to a metal piece, not part of the plastic tray. like the other side...i have a few brackets, and will look if it'll work tommorow...im assuming now it is a seperate piece from the tray,cause nothing broke off either tray, and they both look identical(im holding the spare in my hand)...if some one has a few secs to remove the actual battery to see what the metal piece is shaped like(give the battery etc a good clean-up while its out and clean the posts too...this can never hurt) any info again is much appreciated :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”