Car will not start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Car will not start

Post by solo_ryder »

Alright, so time has come to put my motor back in. Over the winter I have changed the timing belt, bearings, waterpump etc. Putting the motor in went well, with the exception of my headers which did not line up for a crap. Anyways, the day comes where I start it and get it running. Try to crank it over and it just sits there and cranks forever. Nothing.

First thing we do is test spark, there is spark but for assurance I switch to another disty, nothing.

Check fuel, there is fuel in the line and it came spraying out when we disconnected from FPR. The lines are not on backwards, fuel filter is 1 year old. Nothing.

Check timing the next night, it is dead on. TDC and the cam marks are fine.

So back to fuel/spark. We start with fuel, injectors are coming back with 14.2 ohms resistance, perfect! Ok, so We take out a spark plug and crank to see if fuel comes out or smell it... nothing happens hmm. So we take off the FPR and no fuel in the rails... wtf. We crank the motor with the fpr connected to the line and that is it, no fuel coming out! So we try another FPR from my parts car.. Same thing! no fuel coming out, vacuum line connected or not. I try a AFPR, no fuel coming out. SO finally I said lets try cranking with just the line being connected to nothing, see if we get something... It comes gushing out.

What could cause this!? Is it possible there is not enough pressure from the fuel pump? It was sitting in a carport under a cover for a few months and I always run 94 octane and never go under 1/4 tank, there is a 1/4 tank in the car. I have also dumped a liter of methyl hydrate in the tank the day before.

Anyways, not sure where to go next, and I am confused! Please help guys. I haven't posted a help post for about a year haha so this is un-ordinary.
solo_ryder

Re: Car will not start

Post by solo_ryder »

Anyone?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

In our cars the ecu turns on the fuel pump only when it "sees" the engine rotating and air going into the engine - if you want to override this you can jumper F/P ->GND in the diag box - this will keep the fuel pump on whenever the ignition is on.

Are there any codes? (If you dont have stock ECU - you can pop the stock ECU back in just to collect/read codes). Is the plug firing order correct? Is the rotor installed the proper way? Do all the cylinders have spark? Have you checked all the fuses?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

shameem wrote:In our cars the ecu turns on the fuel pump only when it "sees" the engine rotating and air going into the engine - if you want to override this you can jumper F/P ->GND in the diag box - this will keep the fuel pump on whenever the ignition is on.

Are there any codes? (If you dont have stock ECU - you can pop the stock ECU back in just to collect/read codes). Is the plug firing order correct? Is the rotor installed the proper way? Do all the cylinders have spark? Have you checked all the fuses?
I will try the FP and GND after work.

I have a kl36 ecu, but I dont know where the stocker is anymore, never used it. The plugs are fine, as far as I know the rotor is fine too as I have tried two disty's (they can go in only one way as I have heard). The wires are a year old, the plugs are new and are gapped correctly. The fuses are fine.
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

get a fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store if you bypass the computer and you still have low/ no pressure chances are you have a bad FP. also since you had it apart check to see if you accidently pinced off a fuel line follow the lines all the way back to the tank. if you put a jackstand in the wrong spot you could have crushed a line. hope that helps... Good Luck
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

get a fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store if you bypass the computer and you still have low/ no pressure chances are you have a bad FP. also since you had it apart check to see if you accidently pinched off a fuel line follow the lines all the way back to the tank. if you put a jackstand in the wrong spot you could have crushed a line. hope that helps... Good Luck
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I am gonna check the lines after work and also switch out the fuel pump
irocthaDOHC

Post by irocthaDOHC »

Any Luck????

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”