- Fuel pump
- Timing belt
- Spark plugs
- Thermostat
- Coolant
- Oil and filter
- Muffler
- Cataylic converter

The only possbilities I can think of right now are either a blockage or clog in the fuel line somewhere, or the more dreaded cylinder crack. I somehow doubt the cylinder crack, as I hear zero knocking from the engine. Anyone have any ideas?

To expand a bit: No codes have been present at all, before and after the ECU reset, which was performed two weeks ago.

The problem began when there was a nice hole the size of my fist in the muffler about 1.5 months back. In addition, the car had been running with the wrong distributor (it had the one for the DOHC engine). However, that problem was fixed quickly.

I did a few more driving tests, and the car jerks stronger (insert obvious sexual joke here) when in third of fourth gear from roughly 800 RPM to 1,500 RPM. The car currently idles around 1,500 RPM, occassionally dropping to 800-1000 RPM.

Coolant temperature sensor appeared to be fully functional when the thermostat was replaced, re: this topic I made

In other news, I hate that spot in front of the door that acts as a crap collecter >_>
Last edited by Flyer on February 24th, 2008, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
guido101

Re: Hesitation/Stumbling problem with B6 SOHC

Post by guido101 »

did u change ur air filter? also check for vaccum leaks, and try some fuel injection cleaner.
Image Image Image
G-Spot Autosport --93 MX3 --
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

check ur coolant temp sensor, and how long has it been since the o2 sensor was replaced? and also try checking for codes
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

To expand a bit: No codes have been present at all, before and after the ECU reset, which was performed two weeks ago.

The problem began when there was a nice hole the size of my fist in the muffler about 1.5 months back. In addition, the car had been running with the wrong distributor (it had the one for the DOHC engine). However, that problem was fixed quickly.

I did a few more driving tests, and the car jerks stronger (insert obvious sexual joke here) when in third of fourth gear from roughly 800 RPM to 1,500 RPM. The car currently idles around 1,500 RPM, occassionally dropping to 800-1000 RPM.

Coolant temperature sensor appeared to be fully functional when the thermostat was replaced, re: this topic I made
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

have u check ur vaf/maf what ever the metal box is called that is part of ur intake system..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

do you have a vacuum gauge to check how much your making? usually around 16inches at idle throttle closed is good. because if theres a leak its letting unmetered air in screwing up the mixture. have your checked your rubber intake hose for cracks? if all else fails you could go to a dealer if you have one close by and they could put a scan tool on it and see what the input/output for the engine is.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Air filter has been replaced and the tubing has been checked out. Lines are all clean with no cracking.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

hopefully this isn't your problem. but before I knew my tranny was gone, it was making my RS overheat, and cause it to jump on idle when the coolant was low. It did that for months. I didn't know what was going on, till the clutch went toast. decided to replace both at the same time, and pretty much fixed the idles and overheating.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

2fazed wrote:hopefully this isn't your problem. but before I knew my tranny was gone, it was making my RS overheat, and cause it to jump on idle when the coolant was low. It did that for months. I didn't know what was going on, till the clutch went toast. decided to replace both at the same time, and pretty much fixed the idles and overheating.
You know, that would give me an excuse to do the BP swap, but I lack both the space and the proper tools to perform such an endevour...
OldMan

Post by OldMan »

Did you change the strainer in the fuel tank?
It is located on the bottom of the fuel pump. If you did change it did you replace it with the longer rectangular strainer? Most fuel pump kits seem to come with a shorter almost square strainer. This would cause your car to momentarily lose fuel when tank is not full and you are turning. Just a possibility.

OldMan
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I vote o2 sensor.

The single wire o2's don't throw codes when they go bad.
The o2's work until about 3500RPM, then it's shut off (for maximum POWAH!)

they're really cheap for the sohc, go ahead and replace it. Or disconnect it and see if the car runs differently.

My car used to hesitate like that, and as soon as it hit 3200-3500rpm, it'd be like something just "kicked in" and make it drive. Meh.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

have you checked the cam timing?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP