Valvetrain swap question, Re: Springs/retainers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tehbrookzorz

Valvetrain swap question, Re: Springs/retainers

Post by tehbrookzorz »

:freak:
Okay, I've done a bit of research but I'm still a little foggy on the idea. I want to make sure I do this right. In order to prevent dropping valves in the ZE, I read that one should swap over the DE retainers. Now does this require changing the springs and/or valves, or keeping everything from the ZE except the retainers? In the V6 FAQ there is a post regarding KL-DE/KL-ZE valvetrain specs but I somehow managed to get myself more confused reading it. Any tips or info would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Cody
Cody
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Valvetrain swap question, Re: Springs/retainers

Post by Kirk95gs »

I do belice the only thing that is diffrent between the ze and de valvtrain is the intake retainers... however there is a couple diffrent variations of retainers/keepers.. here is a bit of info..

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... =retainers

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... =retainers

check it out..
rece

Post by rece »

I changed my whole top end to Ferrea titanium valve springs and retainers. The cost is relatively high, but you will never hear me having a retainer break and a valve drop. Just an FYI for the springs to work with the valve seals, the seals need to be pressed in.
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Ferrea make great setups.. but as you said.. they are $$$$.. Interprep run half the cost and are stil a great setup..
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

OK, you will only be doing the valvetrain swap on the KLZe intake side.

Also you will be using KLDE or K8 (Same parts) Ratainers, locks and springs. As they are all different than the KLZE Intake side. The heads do not need to be removed to do this swap, I have done several swaps on these motors.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

didnt see this thread... :oops:

So I can take the k8 springs, retainers etc and use them on the klze? Didn't realise k8 were the same as DE or are they?

In reality then only the 12 intake springs & retainers need replaced? If you could explain your assembly technique for installation with the heads intact that would be much appreciated! (I'd rather not be dealing with new head gaskets on a 44k engine)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

So I can take the k8 springs, retainers etc and use them on the klze? Didn't realise k8 were the same as DE or are they?
Yes you will be using the Springs, Retainers, and locks. After installing them on the KLZE, you install the KLZE hydralic lifter back over the retainers. As the KLZE intake hydralic lifters are 31mm as opposed to 30mm on the US DE/K8 heads. All the parts are the same in the heads from the K8 to the DE.
In reality then only the 12 intake springs & retainers need replaced? If you could explain your assembly technique for installation with the heads intact that would be much appreciated! (I'd rather not be dealing with new head gaskets on a 44k engine)
Yes, you only need to do 12.

You need this tool http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?Page ... odID=37812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . You will need to fill the cylinder with air before taking apart the valvetrain. The air will keep the valve pressed up as to not fall in the cylinder. try looking for a write up as its a easy process but it needs to be explained in detail.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Being that I have both sets of heads loose from the block, and I think I have a whole new set of valve seals, it'd probably be smart to replace those while I'm at it, right?
Cody
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well you can replace the vale seals with the heads on the car as well. But yes when changing the valvetrain is a good time to change the seals
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Any thoughts on a tool like this:

EDIT - deleted info on unsuitable tool - waste of space ;)

Thanks to everyone for help so far :2thumbsup:
Last edited by marcdh on February 22nd, 2008, 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

You cannot use that Valve Spring Tool. The one i showed you is the only one that will work on our style heads, because of the design and how deep the springs sit.
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

actually I have read that the toyotool works pretty good and makes things very easy. and if the head is installed on the car, then you can get some rope, and feed it down the spark plug hole and gently turn the motor over till the rope compressed against the valves on the underside of the head. this way when you remove the retainer the valve wont drop. http://www.toyotool.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

2 year old thread XD
but thanks for mentioning this, looks like a useful product

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”