Window Crank removal

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
92StockMx3

Window Crank removal

Post by 92StockMx3 »

i have a 92 mx3 and im going to be painting the interior. In painting the door panels i need to remove them. The manual window crank prevents it from coming off. How would i go about removing the crank.
Mike
1992 Krylon White Mazda MX-3 RS. Cold Air Intake,17 inch Voxx rims with Toyo Proxez 4, Black Projectors, Black Taillights,Smoked Turn Signals.
1993 Brilliant Black Mazada MX-3 GS. KLZE, Short Shifter,
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Window Crank removal

Post by neutral »

From the online workshop manual...
Image -Jim
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you need one of these tools
http://www.lockpickshop.com/images/products/LT460.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I did it with a flathead screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers......just push the door panel in around the knob, and it will allow enough room to get the tools in and pry the clip off. To put the handle and clip back on, first put the clip on the handle itself (you will see slots that the clip fits in), then press the handle onto the shaft. It will clip on its own as you press it on.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

You don't need one of the tools posted by Mitmaks.

The thin rag method works fine, just make sure that you're pulling the U-shaped clip the right way. Another very effective method is using a hook pic from a pic set. If you push the panel in, and pull the handle out a bit, you'll be able to see the clip, and simply hook the hook pic on it and pull it out. The handle will then nearly fall right off.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

umcamara wrote:You don't need one of the tools posted by Mitmaks.

The thin rag method works fine, just make sure that you're pulling the U-shaped clip the right way. Another very effective method is using a hook pic from a pic set. If you push the panel in, and pull the handle out a bit, you'll be able to see the clip, and simply hook the hook pic on it and pull it out. The handle will then nearly fall right off.
sure you do if you don't want to cuss and f*** around with little clip waiting for it to come off. That too is only like 2 bucks at harbor freight and first time you use it it'll pay for itself. :wink:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

That tool provides very little advantage. I was a car audio installer here in Winnipeg for several years, and not I, nor many of the other installers even used those. All the tool does is end up shooting the clip accross the shop, if you're not careful. Pulling the clip out with a hook pick is very simple, involves no cussing, and does not shoot the clip accross the room.

The point is, the different methods work just fine, and you do not "need" the tool.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Appearance”