New member saying hey

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
MaX3

New member saying hey

Post by MaX3 »

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My Name is Trev and I am 13yrs old. I just bought a 1992 MX3 from an auto auction with the money that I saved up. I really stoked to own a car, well, it will be in my step-dads name until I am 16. My step-dad has always joined these kind of sites to learn everything about whatever car he has bought. He told me that I need to learn everything there is to know about these cars so that I can do everything myself. I am taking auto and other car tech courses at school and I get to bring this car into the school to be worked on by me and my class.

So like I have to get rid of the rust by the rear fenders. Its not that bad, I might be able to sand it down and put on some fibreglass patching. I dont know how to do that welding stuff, so I will do what I with whats in the garage.

I will be reading everything I can in this site to find out what people recommend for engine performance. My Step-dad told me to save up for the parts and we will go get them. My step-dads mechanic is going to be looking at all of the safety stuff next week. Once we get all that stuff done, I will look into the usual tune up stuff. Plugs, wires, and probably put in a cold air intake. I think its the 4 cylinder model, and its auto, so it will be easy for me to learn how to drive.

Anyways, I am in the Kitchener area, if there are any other people from that area, let me know, I could probably use your help at some time or get my step-Dad to drive out to a meet or something.

I may be 13, well almost 14, but I saved up for this car and know that I can do some cool things to it in the next 3 years. My Step-dad said that if I put all my time and money into it, I will have more respect for it than if I was just given one. Whatever.. I just think its cool that I bought a car.

Later

Trev
He who has the most toys wins!
Devlin

Re: New member saying hey

Post by Devlin »

wow...really getting an early start on this whole thing eh?
glad to see the commitment there.
if it's the 4banger that you've got, your best bet for better performance is to replace the engine with the japanese turbo one. i have the V6 though, so I don't know what all that entails.
once the warm weather comes around, we'll try for some weekly meets and stuff, and it'll continue throughout the summer provided intrest is strong.
there's definately people out your way, but I would suggest that to get the most out of this club, you've gotta be willing to travel. because the club is so spread out, meet locations varry alot, and you'll never meet up with everyone unless you're willing to travel to various meet sites.
i kinda wish i could go back and start learning about cars at your age, so bravo.
i would however really recommend that you learn how to drive standard. not only is the manual transmission a hell of alot more reliable than auto, cheaper to fix if it DOES fail, but it'll handle more power and be a hell of a lot more fun to drive. standard's not that difficult, i started out on one. and converting your auto to manual IS possible, it has been done

hope to see you out, and eventually driving your creation
MaX3

Post by MaX3 »

I have always been interested in cars and was always bugging my step-dad to let me work on his projects. My step-dad was sick of me playing Xbox and pretending to work on cars in the need for speed games so this is my real life game.

Its the 4 cylinder one, but my step-dad said there is a tigerjapanese place in Toronto thats got Japanese motors. He told me that it would a good thing to learn how to work on motors by actually tearing down one and building one back up. We already learned everything about a 2 stroke motor for school by cutting a lawnmower motor in half. Maybe this place in Toronto will have a turbo motor. I keep reading through this site about peoples swapping in a BP motor. I need to do some more research to find out what these motors names are. I know alot of about the honda motors, but the Mazda ones are new to me. My step-dad thinks that the small motor is a good one for me learn how to drive with and not make go too fast.

My step-dad used to be into Acura integras and we used to go to the Toronto meets, so I look forward to my step-dad driving my car out to these meets... ya.. go ahead make fun of me... "what, your daddy has to drive you here?" Oh well, got to start somewhere.

Trev
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Just grab an old Protege with the 1.8 BP engine...probably going to end up being cheaper...

I know there's someone in Toronto selling a 1994 Mazda Protege, manual transmission for $300...gets you most of the parts needed for a swap, plus a shell to sell....or bash in with a baseball bat and flamethrower...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
MaX3

Post by MaX3 »

Cool... that is something to think about. But i think i want to keep the auto, is that possible?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hi! And, nope
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You may want to keep it auto now, but once you start to drive you'll understand that stick is much more fun :)

I guess the auto to MTX swap is not as hard as many people think, theres a bunch of people that have done it.
MaX3

Post by MaX3 »

So a BP motor wont easily bolt up to the auto transmission that is in the car right now? If I am lucky enough, my step-dad was looking into buying the one parts car for sale from one of the members here in Brantford. Supposedly the car has some engine probs so maybe we can experiment on the motor swap into that car. My step-dad said something about finding a BP motor at Japanesemotors in Toronto but I think the transmission was seperate. Who knows, I got plenty of time to play with this car, so I am in no hurry.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

no1'll laugh man. one of our members from hamilton area used to come w/ his dad cuz he only had his G1.
if you wanna stay auto, then for now, i'd suggest staying relatively close to stock until you're ready to give standard a try.
you have lots of time to tinker before you really need to decide anyway, and if you can get some cheap engines and have your own engine hoist, then you can pull it in and out as often as you'd like until you're ready for boost
AKA Deimos
MaX3

Post by MaX3 »

Thanks Devlin. To put in a BP motor into a mx3, you need to buy the intercooler and stuff too right? I just ask cuz tigerjapanese has a BP motor for sale. I think my step-dad is getting the car building itch too and was thinking about buying one of the not running cars for sale in the mx3 classifieds from a member from brantford. My mom is b----ing about what this will do to the garage, but i think stepdad is doing it just because of that. hahhaa.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You only need an inter cooler if you are going to turbo the car as well. A BP does not have a turbo stock, where as a BPT does.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Welcome to the site buddy, thats good that you saved up money for a car, you will have more pride in ownership that way :) Just take things slowly and carefully, if there is one thing to learn (and everyone does) is that you do things right the first time!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Welcome...auto is gay..swap that thing out for a 5speed, then throw some boost at it :D
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wow I wish I owned a car when I was 13 - sounds like you have a great headstart on most kids these days! hands on learning is usually the best way! :welder:

if you ever have any questions about your car, usually a quick search on this site will give you the answer. Also check out the worklogs section - you will see just about everything available to do or modify on your car there. WELCOME to the fabulous world of mx-3's :mrgreen:
MaX3

Post by MaX3 »

Ok, so I got the car delivered to the my step-dads shop and they looked it over for a what it needs. The pads and rotors have to be replaced. The e-brake cable. I think one of the struts is shot. The is some rusted out spots that need to be repaired.

So, we opened up the hood and found it was a V6 with the 3 speed. The things runs nice, but I couldnt believe its only a 3 speed. That must suck on the highway.

Here are the problems that we have found-

-moonroof is sticking, got stuck for awhile. Step dad and I dismantled everything to find the best way of getting the roof down
-seat is ripped.. i can live with that, unless I buy that car from Brantford with all of the cool stuff already in it
-factory stereo - what is a tape deck? hahahah
-needs a bit of body work

I think we got a cool project. I think my step dad is going to fix this car before I know it and take his truck off the road for the gas savings!

I will post pics tommorow of areas that need work

Thanks everyone

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”