best performance strut/sping combo

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Re: best performance strut/sping combo

Post by import_fan7 »

i got tokico blue struts and eibach pro kit springs and they work just fine! and only ran me around $750 for the whole set
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Does anyone know the maximum valving rates on the Koni Red inserts?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

From what I remember it's not very high. Konis are meant for stock or slightly stiffer than stock spring rates.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Whisper wrote:From what I remember it's not very high. Konis are meant for stock or slightly stiffer than stock spring rates.
Bah, what good are the inserts if not to handle ludicrousily high spring rates? :P
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
MX Maximus

Re:

Post by MX Maximus »

sk8erdude802 wrote:I cant believe no one has thrown down Koni inserts. They are nice. I rode a set of those and H&Rs for about a year and loved it. Its not to hard to get them in there.
I second ya', Steve. Koni Red adjustable inserts are excellent and will match up with any spring set out there, although the H&Rs appear to be the most poplular choice. BTW, what setting did you run your Konis? Did you set them on maximum stiffness and if so, how did they feel when driving?

MX Maximus
1993 Mazda MX3 GS: SE to ZE (in progress)
1992 Mazda MX3 RS: RETIRED at 498,430 miles! RIP.
1994 Mazda MX6 LS: Currently stock with no mods to date.
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

I have eibach springs with the ZX2 struts and frankly I am dissapointed with the ride comfort. Perhaps they are better on the track, but when it comes to street use, the ride is rather bumpy... I can feel every hairline crack on the asphalt. I pretty much rebuilt my front end suspension with new bushings, ball joints, tie rod & ends, sway bar links & a new driveshaft and I would like to get some different struts to keep my front end from gettting worn out too soon :lol: . Anyone got a good idea of what struts would best matchup to the eibach springs that are good for street use? B/c the ZX2's aren't cutting it on the streets of Phoenix!
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

i went with eibach springs as well but im runnin tokico blue struts and the ride seems fine for me i mean as good as it gets for it being lowered
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have H&Rs, and it's alot more comfortable than I expected. With strut bars, and all new Energy Suspension bushings, it corners better than my Dad's Porsche.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

import_fan7 wrote:i went with eibach springs as well but im runnin tokico blue struts and the ride seems fine for me i mean as good as it gets for it being lowered
I heard some bad things about tokico blues, that they are rather just oem replacements and tend to get damage (leak) pretty quick. Is this true?

fowljesse, what kind of struts do you have paired up with those H&R's?
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

ive had my tokico blues for about a year so far and there fine.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm sorry, MrMike420, but I don't know. The guy I bought them from told me, and I forgot, because I thought I'd get a reciept from when he bought them. I'll put up a picture in a new thread, and see if anyone can identify them. They are something I'd never heard of, and I've been on here a long time.
I remember Phoenix streets to be smooth (especially compared to many other cities). I miss the rubberized freeways! I grew up in PHX, and South Scottsdale.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

fowljesse wrote:I remember Phoenix streets to be smooth (especially compared to many other cities). I miss the rubberized freeways! I grew up in PHX, and South Scottsdale.
Yeah they use to, but now they have the whole city (phoenix) torn apart installing our new light rail system, should be done in 2009, allegedly. :D. Ever since then, it has been a pain in the a-- for the MX, considering I live and work around the light rail system. :(
~FUeGo~

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”