B6de->BP swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mortenmorfar

B6de->BP swap

Post by mortenmorfar »

Hello there, im looking for a BP engine for my 1997 mx-3, and have found a couple of engines, the cheapest is from a 1989 Mazda 323 F BG1 (Familia GT i guess? Picture), the swap guide only includes 1990-> engines on this site, but as I understand the BP engine design is the same on a 1989 BP ?
I found another site saying the 1989 BP has 125Hp, but people on this forum always says the BP has 130Hp, I guess the difference is in the head ?

Im planning on adding, High compression Pistons, faster cams, tougher valves and springs.
I guess my question is would I get the same power out of a 1989 BP as I would with a 1990 BP ?
Flyer

Re: B6de->BP swap

Post by Flyer »

My semi-educated guess is that it is indeed the same engine.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

my first guess was it will fit, but then i see in the wikipedia -> 1990-1993 Mazda 323 (European Market), and as it's a 323 the BP engine shouldn't be in the car, but I guess the 323 F BG1 is a Familia GT... we are just using another name for the car here in Denmark i guess :)
So I will order the engine, and start to look for parts, anyone with idea's, I'm not going to turbo it, too much hassle with the insurance company.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

early year are small nose cranks get a big nose crank better late 92+ and up
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I'm not too sure if the UK went OBDII, if so.. you will need a full wiring harness and ecu.
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

I don't like the sound of wiring swap :|, I tought you only had to get another speedo cabel, and then splices a wire on the harness, and that was it ?
The engine im getting is the 1989 BP from a Mazda 323F BG1, and the one i have is a 1997 B6DE (OBDII), so the wiring dosen't fit ?
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:early year are small nose cranks get a big nose crank better late 92+ and up
couldn't I just swap a Crankshaft from +92 then ?
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

I have cancled my order for the engine, and when I have the money I will get a +1992 BP engine, anyway to tell if the engine is a 1 or 2 gen ?
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

I have talked with someone about the swap, he said just swap the sensors... is that possible so I use the sensors from my B6DE engine, and install them on the BP 1 gen ?
then there shoulden't be too much trouble with the wires right ???
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

No, the sensors are wired the same... as far as I have found thus far. The ECU side is totally different. It's 3 plug instead of 2. You may want to double check the part number on your ecu just to be sure.
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

Ehm okay, now I don't get it... if the sensors are the same, and i want to use the B6DE ECU, Then shouldn't it all fit ?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Sorry, I was talking about the OBDII and 94+ OBDI. Maf and TPS and Dizzy... etc seem to be the same. The BP will not be. (Don't know why I was talking about that in the first place.... :oops: )
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

OBD2 have more sensors than the obd1 and if you go with an obd1 setup, the extra sensors will not be available on the obd1 engine. If that is the case, you will have sensor plugs not plugged into a sensor and the ecu will start throwing codes and it can restrict your engines performance.

You are taking the engine out anyway so it is very simple to swap the harness at the same time. I did this swap in my car because mine was obd2. I just went to the ecu, unplugged the harness there and pulled it through the firewall as I was lifting the engine out of the car. You hook the other harness up to the new engine and as you lower it into the car you feed it through the firewall. When your engine is in, you go inside the car and take out the old ecu and put the new one in and plug in the wires.

You only need to replace the engine harness and not the ones with either of the fuse boxes, the one under the dash nor the one in the engine compartment. then it is just the speedo cable and you are done and ready to fire it up.

I have a standalone now so I don't need my engine's harness or ecu so I am just about to pull everything out again and start the process over. It is a quick and easy thing to do and I don't understand why people are scared to do this for the obd2 cars.

Jeff
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

Well some people makes it sound more complicated than it really is, and if it's as simple as you makes it sound, it shouldn't be any problem :)
So when I get some money I will buy the 89 BP engine I found, Thanks

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”