Sway Bars

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Sal

Sway Bars

Post by Sal »

Hello again,

just wanted to know if there are any BIGGER replacement sway bars for the mx, that are useable from other vehicles. Or if anybody knows if you can buy some from a store?

i want to improve my handling.
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Re: Sway Bars

Post by hotsiit »

An off the shelf Rear swaybar is offered from Whiteline automotive (Australian company). Their swaybar is 22mm, I believe the stock gs swaybar is 20mm. Here is the link for the USA distributor http://www.globalperformanceparts.com/w ... 24133.html. Current price ~$155.00
Not sure of bigger "stock" bars that bolt-in, but I will be using the Whiteline one.
:D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Sal

Post by Sal »

hey,

thanks for the link.

Would you think they will make a difference? and what about the front ones, is there a point of getting the rear ones and keep the front the same?
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sal wrote:hey,

thanks for the link.

Would you think they will make a difference? and what about the front ones, is there a point of getting the rear ones and keep the front the same?
It will make a large difference as the early mx3's had a 22mm sway bar like the whitelines, but they are hollow, the whitelines are solid IIRC. Plus, if you get new bushings that will help a lot too. As for a front sway, if you have decent suspension mods already then the front is not that big of a deal, the rear is the part of the MX3 (at least imo) that is weak and has a lot of "lean". If you get a sway for the rear then that should help balance out the suspension a lot more. If you wanted to save some money, the 96 mx3 gs has a solid rear sway that will work well to, just finding one may be a challenge :P
Sal

Post by Sal »

Sounds Good,

thanks a lot for your help!!

I'm fishing for ideas on how i can improve handling. i had to get rid of my front stur bar because of th4 ZE manifold, so now im looking into a replacement or best fit for the strut bar. i noticed a difference when i had to take it off.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Do the washer mod, take a bunch of washers and put em under the two closest strut tower bolts to the motorr and that will raise it up over the IM
Sal

Post by Sal »

hi guys,

sorry this may seem like a stupid question; but what is a "washer" i know what your talking about when it comes to the mod, what is it that your putting under the bolt?

also, rasing up the bolts will that decrease the effectiveness of the strut bar? it wont have a change at all?

thanx again.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sal wrote:hi guys,

sorry this may seem like a stupid question; but what is a "washer" i know what your talking about when it comes to the mod, what is it that your putting under the bolt?

also, rasing up the bolts will that decrease the effectiveness of the strut bar? it wont have a change at all?

thanx again.
You put washers under the strut bar plate, you put them on the 2 studs closest to the motor so that it essentially lifts the bar higher.. It may lose about of effectiveness, but I dont think the bar will do a whole hell of alot anyways, espcially if its a round ractive style one
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Sal wrote:hi guys,

thanx again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(mechanical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

HAHA :lol:
Sal

Post by Sal »

hi guys,

thanks for the link about the washer's.

about the sway bars, wont it be better to go to mazda and buy 96mx rear sway bars instead of ordering them from australia. since there both the same and they'll both fit no problem????

Well i called mazda they said it will cost $163 each one for the 96mx sway bars, and he doesnt know forsure if they are hollow or not..!!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well if they are that much from mazda get the whiteline ones since they are the same price, but either or will work.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I still have my old stock rear swaybar. It's solid, and in good condition. It's 20 mm, so not as big as the Whiteline I replaced it with, but decent still. I'm not looking to get rid of it yet, but if you really want it, I could sell it to you. Though I would recommend checking junkers and used parts around you first. Local is always cheaper, since there's no shipping. Whiteline is definitely a good upgrade, so if you can, purchase that one instead. You'll probably end up buying it in the end, anyway, so might as well do it from the start, instead of upgrading to the solid stock one first.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”