throttle cuts out

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zombiechow

throttle cuts out

Post by zombiechow »

Hey guys quick question. I was taking a corner kind of quickly a couple of times today in 2nd and it seemed as gravity was shifting through the corner my throttle cut out. Any ideas what this could be? I have no clue.

Thanks.

ZC[/i]
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

By any chance did you have less than quarter tank of gas?
And did you replace the fuel pump strainer recently?
Does it happen only on sharp right turns?

Its could be because the fuel pump is going out or the strainer is not long enough to wick the fuel out to the pump intake at low levels.....

It could also be a loose connection in th electrical system somewhere.....
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

not exactly sure how much gas is in there...probably about 1/3 but the fuel gauge is broken so i have to estimate by miles. Have about 190 on the tank. It happens with both right and left turns I believe. I hope it's not the pump that's pretty expensive right?
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

correction to my last statement. It does only occur with right turns.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Pump is not that expensive - probably 50 bucks for a good one. But get a strainer that looks "long" (rectangular)- dont get the short pocket type (square) strainer.
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

ok thanks for the tip. So you think it's probably the pump?
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

I had kind of the same problem, my ignition was cuting out because of a loose wire on the distributor. I put my bet on a bad connection somewhere
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

zombiechow wrote:ok thanks for the tip. So you think it's probably the pump?
Try the strainer - if that doesnt work move on to other things....
10secSim

Re: throttle cuts out

Post by 10secSim »

so is the problem fixed? let us know what it was so this post can help other ppl.
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zombiechow

Re: throttle cuts out

Post by zombiechow »

the problem is still occuring...i'd say at less than half a tank or right at is when the problem starts. I have not had time to try the strainer solution but I have checked for a bad connection and haven't found anything. I'll keep you posted.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”