msd blaster and blaster ss

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MgXs3

msd blaster and blaster ss

Post by MgXs3 »

I was looking for a external coil and I found a msd blaster 2 coil and then i found a blaster ss, here is a pic of the blaster 2 coil what is the difference? like performance wise?

http://www.dansracingsupply.com/images/MSD8202.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then theres the ss

http://store-garage34.locasite.com.br/l ... D-8207.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: msd blaster and blaster ss

Post by Mooneggs »

I have been told the main difference is that the SS can be mounted anywhere vs. the blaster has to be mounted upright... somebody correct me if I have been misinformed! :roll:
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

What mooneggs said is correct as the blaster 2 is oil filled. I do believe the Blaster2 has more output but not much. Its also the ideal coil to use with an MSD 6A setup. I am running a Blaster SS. and it is plenty for our cars. The Blaster SS is more designed for imports. I believe its the coil that is ment to be used with the MSD SCI ignition. I am running it with my HEI and it works great. I am adding a 6AL this winter to my car, and it is supposed to work great with that too.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have a vision in which my distributor hole is blocked and I am running an ignition timer with 6 SS coils...

dare to dream.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

wytbishop wrote:I have a vision in which my distributor hole is blocked and I am running an ignition timer with 6 SS coils...

dare to dream.
6 coils will be a waste - not to mention wiring and timing nightmare - 3 will be more than sufficient......
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

shameem wrote:
wytbishop wrote:I have a vision in which my distributor hole is blocked and I am running an ignition timer with 6 SS coils...

dare to dream.
6 coils will be a waste - not to mention wiring and timing nightmare - 3 will be more than sufficient......
It is not a nightmare in wiring or timing with modern electrical and electronic advances and neither is it a waste unless you discount the fun.

When I said dare to dream, I meant big, not small.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

look up waste spark system.....

http://news.carjunky.com/how_stuff_work ... 2315.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

k i understand. now my next question is what is the msd 6al and sci and what does does it do and how do u use it?
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Dude, I know how the ignition system works. I know the difference between wasted and non-wasted spark ignition. I will, at somepoint in the future, put together an ignition system which mimicks a coil on plug system in which each cylinder has its own coil...because it's fun and cool. Not because it's practical or extremely efficient or higher performing.

Do you actually think I don't understand??? Was your "it would be a waste" comment was intended as a pun??? Cuz that would actually be kinda funny...inaccurate but funny.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MgXs3 wrote:k i understand. now my next question is what is the msd 6al and sci and what does does it do and how do u use it?
It's a computer dedicated to timing the ignition system and can be used in a variety of configurations for different engines. The 6AL basically takes the signal from your car's ECU and uses it to tell what ever number of ignition coils you decide to use, depending on the number of cylinders and type of system you want to encorporate, when to fire. It's probably the simplest, most common ignition timer out there.

The down side I've read is that it will screw up your tach. It has a lead for the purpose of adapting your tach to read the signal from the 6AL, but my understanding from many Probe guys is that it doesn't work and lots of them have not been able to solve it.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

MgXs3 wrote:k i understand. now my next question is what is the msd 6al and sci and what does does it do and how do u use it?
MSD - multiple spark discharge - it is a capacitive discharge system that provides multiple sparks in the combustion stroke (as opposed to just one spark provided by the stock system). MSD 6AL has rev limiting function. MSD 6BTM models have timing advance/retard functions. MSD 6 series systems can not use multiple coils - it will use one coil combined with a disty - it will just charge the coil much faster and provide multiple sparks to the same cylinder. Although MSD 6 series system provides stronger sparks at lower RPMs it defaults to just one spark at higher RPM (above 3000) because there just isnt enough time (between strokes) to produce that many sparks.

For true distributor less system you got to look at the DIS series and it comes with a built in microcontroller
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_24_6211_6215.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_26_6212.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_14_6214.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

what would the agvantage be of getting multiple spark in one stroke?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Regarding the 6AL, Shameem is right. I was not correct when I said "what ever number of ignition coils you decide to use". I was mixing technologies when I said that. A stand alone engine management system and some piggyback systems offer the ability to control up to 8 ignition coils.

Multiple spark creates a more complete, faster burn, but because the spark events come so close together as the RPMs increase, there isn't time to generate the voltage needed to sustain multiple spark above 3000. At low RPM it give stronger idle and better throttle response.

I'm gonna stop talking now, as I've inadvertently made myself look dumb enough for now.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”