New battery, car won't crank without a boost

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
im2bad4ya

New battery, car won't crank without a boost

Post by im2bad4ya »

Okay, so my old battery was dead, the car hasn't been turned on in about 2 months and I didn't buy a new battery until today. I put it in the car and she won't crank up. When I put the key in the ACC position, headlights, interior lights, radio, etc. seems to be working, like normal. When I put the key in the ON position, everything gets dim and the usual beeping noise is slow and faint. When I actually crank it, it won't turn over. But I'm able to jump start her, no problem. Has anyone seen this before? Does anybody know what I would have to replace?

I think the alternator is the culprit, It starts squeeling when I turn certain things on, (i.e. Rear Defroster).

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Re: New battery, car won't crank without a boost

Post by Tunes67 »

The alternator belt could be loose.. and that could effect how well the battery charges. But.. it wont have anything to do with initial start up. Check your battery cables and make sure they are tight and corrosion free. Maybe run a new ground cable from the battery negative terminal to one of the starter bolts that hold the starter to the engine block (I had to do this in my car to get a good ground). Check the positive cable from the fuse block to the starter.. mine had lots of corrosion and needed to be replaced.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Just checked it, Like most people who have MX-3's, mine is second hand. One of the previous owners of my car put a separate ground wire, which I forgot to reconnect to the negative battery terminal. Thnx for the suggestion, or I wouldn't have thought about that.

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

This is pretty obvious...but you don't seem to mention if you are letting the battery charge once you get it started. Especially in cold weather, it can take at least a few minutes of the car running (with an alternator in good condition) for the battery to get a decent charge.

Also, you can disconnect your battery once the car is running to see if the alternator keeps it going.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya with a new battery and it barely cranks your dropping alot of voltage somewhere to your starter. most likely its your battery cables like tunes said. gotta get that juice to the starter haha. you can do tests on your bat cables if you have a DVOM(digital volt ohm meter) or just a voltmeter. check your voltage drops across if your mechanically inclined. good luck lots of smart people on this site.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”