engine idles 1500 rpm

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
novafreak66

engine idles 1500 rpm

Post by novafreak66 »

i have a 92 mx-3 1.4L with a/c, i looked in my haynes book and it is pointing me to the idle valve on the engine. does this valve have coolant run through it and is it bolted to the throttle body?

any info will be helpful,

thanks
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

Post by MAZDA SPEED MX-3 »

yes it does and i am haveing the same problem. i cant figure it out. i tried replacing the peice on the bottom of the throttle body that has a plug-in on it, didnt help.
GTracin07

Re: engine idles 1500 rpm

Post by GTracin07 »

yea lets figure this one out im having the same problem :!: :!:
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS
1992 Chevy Camaro RS 5.0
1983 Chevy Camaro Z28 383ci
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Uhhh...it's not really clear what your guys' problem is. Do the cars idle at 1500 rpm's all the time, just when coasting to a stop? Details would help. Have you tried entering diagnostic mode and adjusting your idle?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
onesweet92mazda

Post by onesweet92mazda »

mines the same.. when its sitting at idle for more than 15 min it goes away...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

You must realize that the car WILL idle high at 1.5k until it's warm. It does take 10-15 minutes, depending if it's idling or if you're driving.

Now if you're having an issue where the car is at operating temperature, and the RPM is "sticking" still to 1500RPM for a while, THEN you have an issue.

I would first suggest throwing it in diagnostic mode and check your timing, as suggested by mr wonderful (uncamara)

Second, If you haven't done a tune-up in a while, do so.
Third, still having the issue? Run some injector cleaner. It probably won't help, but it will make you feel better.
You should also consider sending your injectors off to be professionally cleaned and flow tested. This is probably where your issue lies. A dirty injector won't let your idle rev's drop properly.
Witchhunterperformance offers cleaning services, 17/injector
cruzin' performance as well, I do believe same price.
There is also a shop local to me that does a 4 set for 60.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
onesweet92mazda

Post by onesweet92mazda »

yea i think mine just doesnt warm up i took the thermastat out because it was stuck and i never put one back in
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

my friend and i had the same issue just before we started our road trip to alberta. the coolant temperature sensor is what u need to replace if the idle does not drop. The sensor is located to the right of the distributor a little below its height, it has a green clip that a harness plugs into. just unscrew it and screw the new one in. Some coolant will come out but not much at all. Also check your intake make sure there arent any gaps between the connectors under and to the side. In order to remove the coolant temp sensor u may need to remove ur intake to gain more room.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
Sortin

Post by Sortin »

onesweet92mazda wrote:yea i think mine just doesnt warm up i took the thermastat out because it was stuck and i never put one back in
Definitely replace the thermostat. My MX-3 wouldn't reach operating temperature on my hour drive to work in the morning until I replaced my broken (open) thermostat. And just think, that's in Florida winter morning weather, it gets way down into the 30's in the morning sometimes! That's almost freezing! :confused2:

I didn't notice a high idle though, just a really low temperature gauge, and of course, no heat out of the vents. Replaced the thermostat, and now the car heats up in a couple minutes, and I get heat from the vents.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

definatly the thermostat
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”