Your favourite Car to build on under 5k?

Other - General Mazda Discussions

In your mind, which is the best car to build on under 5k?

Mazda MX-3
67%
Mazda RX-7 FC
7%
Nissan 240SX
7%
Toyota Celica
No votes
Honda Civic/ delsol
No votes
Honda Integra DA
No votes
5.0 mustang
7%
Mercedes 450SLC
No votes
300ZX
13%

Total votes: 15

cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

fowljesse wrote:My G/f has a Celica, and I had alot of fun with an RX-7 when I lived in Hawai'i, so I can't be biased. All fun cars!
The funnest car I had was bought for $75. It was a 73 Olds Cutlass with a blueprinted "Rocket" 350. We cut the roof off (lived in AZ), and painted cartoons all over it, and added a pink Flamingo hood ornament, and pop rivited round solid aluminum sheet metal to the rally rim covers for a "Mad Max" look . There wasn't a body panel without a dent. I would run up the back, 1 foot on the bumper, 1 just above the rear window, and drop into the driver's side, and start it, all in 3 seconds. I let 3 people who were driving like idiots hit me, and they never wanted the police involved.
Once, I went to the state fair, and they said "The demolition Derby entrance is over there"!
The car was legendary.
The lower ball joint gave out on the Freeway in Cali, when I was going about my usual (at the time) 95 mph.
R.I.P. buddy.

LOL definetly a lot of fun
:D
-------------------------------------------------------
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
K8Boosted

Re: Your favourite Car to build on under 5k?

Post by K8Boosted »

I love my mx-3... but ill admit when i buy parts for once i would love to be able to just bolt it up and go... but i love the extra attention and credibilty u get from driving a unique car.....

I would go with a 94 integra ls... the b18b1 is a extremly cheap and a strong motor...
i would do a ls vtec.. i would chose the integra over the civic becuase many have a nice leather interior also the integra and have most options...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx-3 Kl Turbo (Weekend/show car)
95 talon tsi awd (Daily Driver For Sale 6,000 or Trade for a Mx
1989 Cbr600 (StreetFighter/Stunt Bike)
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
Savin

Post by Savin »

i'd have to take a 1987-1993 mustang hatchback 5.0 or 1994-1995 thunderbird with a 5.0 swapped in.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Haha. Silly Hondas. Everybody and their dog has a Honda. :crying:
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'd take K8Boosted's Gremlin :wink: , and drop in a blown 502 with dual quads :welder:, tub it with a Ford 9 inch diff. 8) and... Oh, wait .. UNDER $5,000.....
:oops:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

K8Boosted wrote:I love my mx-3... but ill admit when i buy parts for once i would love to be able to just bolt it up and go... but i love the extra attention and credibilty u get from driving a unique car.....

I would go with a 94 integra ls... the b18b1 is a extremly cheap and a strong motor...
i would do a ls vtec.. i would chose the integra over the civic becuase many have a nice leather interior also the integra and have most options...

haha yea.. personally after I totalled my integra I dint like hondas (aside from the NSX) integras are okay aside from them being overpriced~ :crying:
-------------------------------------------------------
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Both my 300ZX's were bought for under US$5000 (i think?), Silvias (240SX) are waaay to common here, every drifter wannabe has one. Yeah, if i had the money i'd do a race-spec 300ZX..., pit it against GTR's and Evo's etc :lol:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Aston Wards wrote:Both my 300ZX's were bought for under US$5000 (i think?), Silvias (240SX) are waaay to common here, every drifter wannabe has one. Yeah, if i had the money i'd do a race-spec 300ZX..., pit it against GTR's and Evo's etc :lol:
Pics of your Z32's?
Are you on www.aus300zx.com or the Kiwi forum? If so, what is your screen name on those forums?
Do you know Glenn (aka MungyZ)?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

Even more epic than the last thread revival!!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So F'n Funny!.. I quite literally lol'd

jschrauwen -

So what gives, you have been on the forum more recently than two years ago. Why all the thread revivals?...

And for the OP back in 07' i would go for a ford festiva, and do a BPT or KL turbo swap. the entire thing would cost under 5K and in a 1700 lb car :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Not in the original options, but I've been toying with the idea of an LS1 swapped RX7 FD... *drool*

Either that, or stuffing any small powerplant, an rx7 fc rear end, and supercharger into my '72 MG Midget. At a whopping 1,600 pounds(stock, not gutted/lightened), I'd make friends fast at the track. :welder: Since I already have the MG, I could probably do it for ~$5,000, if I'm frugal and patient. More realistically, $10,000 and I could do some minor beautification while I'm at it.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

funny note on the mg... while it would probably be over 5k (of course so would the RX7 but we'll ignore $$ signs)
I had a heckuva time getting my 99 miata to pass emmisions. British racing green with a tan top... well, after 4 attempts at the emmissions testing (they said it couldn't read the computer, even though my local shop could) the shop owner that was trying to help me called the state mechanic (apparently they were acquaintances, lucky!) and told him I was coming over. Nice guy, he ushered me in... turned out he was a miata fanatic. He looked at me and said, "If you wanna drive an MG, buy an MG. If you wanna race an MG, buy a miata."

Turned out you just had to push the plug in tight for their equipment to recognize it. sigh...

Of course, for racing's sake, a MONSTER MIATA would probably be a better option...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I shouldn't have to... but here goes:
MrMazda92 wrote:Since I already have the MG, I could probably do it for ~$5,000, if I'm frugal and patient.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I had an RX-7, and since I love cornering, I'd stick with the rotary, for the balance. I loved drifting in Hawai'i.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

There seems to be very positive feedback about the light weight of the LS1, and maintaining the excellent balance the car was designed to have. :D Naturally, that's second hand, as I don't own one.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “General Mazda”