MegaSquirt...Newbie

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

MegaSquirt...Newbie

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Just wandering how many people have Megasquirt installed on their mx ? How Hard was the installation ? And how hard was the tune ? anyone running spark also. I want to set up a full standalone and im sure i could figure out how to install it but looking at some of the sample tuning charts and what not, they have me lost. pretty advanced stuff. Also is their anyway to preload base charts from the stock computer or maybe a miata and then adjuest from that ? Any input about megasquirt would be awsome !
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Anyone Have any input on this ? I have ran a few searches but Most of the information is slim on megasquirt and the mx.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

I looked into megasquirt as well as DIS a while ago - the setup seemed relatively straightforward and i was told that megasquirt comes with a "autotune" function that can create a decent base map after a few minutes of driving around.
But if you are turbo'd - you can try your luck with autotune or you might try some local tuners in your area - also probably miata forums might help... There is a megasquirt faq on the engine electronics section which covers a lot.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I wanted to get a crappy laptop strictly for MegaSquirt tuning. I would use my Alienware laptop, but the screen is not working. Anyways, my question is:

What should my specs be? I'm sure a 486 laptop won't cut it, right? Haha!

EDIT: I could use my Wife's Laptop, but it doesn't have a serial port on it. Would the USB to Serial cables work? Or does it have to be Serial to Serial?
No more MX-3.
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Re: MegaSquirt...Newbie

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

486??? that is old. Id say go with a Pentium 2; they are cheap and easy to find. I actually have an old P2 labtop if your interested (Toronto). The battery does not work, so it needs to be plugged in. (offers?)

I'm running MSnS 2.2 fuel and spark.

My only problem at this time is getting the IAT(intake air temp.) and CLT (coolant) sensors calibrated properly. I have no issues in the summer, but come cold temperastures and the readings in Megatune go to -40F (impossible).

Advice: Read the manuals over and over. You will be surprised to find something new each time through it!!! Start off with fuel only setup. Make sure you can get it started. Then move onto spark if desired. Give yourself time, don't rush it.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Re:

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

ScooterBovine wrote:EDIT: I could use my Wife's Laptop, but it doesn't have a serial port on it. Would the USB to Serial cables work? Or does it have to be Serial to Serial?
I'd be surprised if the labtop did not have a serial port... Are you certain?

Don't bother with USB-Serial, bad choice. The connection for whatever reason doesn't work in every instance. Serial-Serial without a doubt is the BEST/only choice.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”