93 mx-3 gs not starting, please help

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
novaks

93 mx-3 gs not starting, please help

Post by novaks »

Hey guys, I have a new problem with my MX-3 and was wondering what it might be..

Last Tuesday while driving, I lost complete engine power as I was accelerating. Thankfully it was a construction area and not freeway since my power steering quit along with the engine. I pulled over and no leaks, plugs and battery are good. It will crank over but not start, but strangely after 1hr of being stranded it did start once. When I accelerated, the engine died again. Since then, it will crank but not start

Someone at work suggested it may have been my timing belt, and valves are probably toast with all the cranking. I hope not since a family friend changed that last year (but unfortunately didn't witness him do the job)

Also someone on the forum had a similar problem with the engine dying on accelerations and answers were intake hoses and fuel pump. Are their any other suggestions? Unfortunately I'm not mechanic adept and just have the Chilton's manual, so it may have to go back to the shop.

Thanks for any help

Frustrated with so many repairs in the six years I owned the car, I ended up financing a 2006 truck lol. No where near as fun as my MX but at least I have something to get me to work for now.

After repairing whatever is broke I'm more than likely going to have to sell her. The repairs have taken a toll financially for about $4000. I had the transmission rebuilt last Thankgiving, Smog test failed this Thankgiving but state covered the new cat. Also had to get the radiator, alternator, and water pump replaced on three different occasions. With 170k miles I figure she's probably on her last runs and I can't keep up with repairs. Otherwise it's a beautiful car after doing a lot of visual customization.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

You dont have to worry about anything internally if the timing belt went. The k8 is a noninterference motor, meaning the valves will not contact the pistons. You need three things for a motor to run, fuel, spark, and compression. I doubt you have to worry about compression if all of a sudden the motor died. So that leaves fuel and spark. Crank the motor over and then pull each plug and check for fuel by smelling the spark plug. The smell of gas should be very apparent. Next verify spark by pulling a spark plug and putting the spark plug back in the plug wire and cranking quickly. You will need a second person for this, one to crank the car over while the other person looks to see spark. Try this on every spark plug. I would start there. Get back to us and let us know if you are not getting gas or spark, and we can point you in the next direction of what to check.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”