iac problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
1992blazeredgs

iac problems

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Ever since i went to a 65mm tb it appears my iac isnt working. At first i thought it was just old, and needed a good cleaning. so yesterday i pulled my tb, comletely cleaned the tb and iac. Readjusted my tps, and the whole nine yards. Well still i still have the same problem. On initial cold start the car does not want to idle and i have to hold the rpms at 1500 or so where they should be if the iac were working. I have to hold the rpms there for a few minutes then everything is fine. The iac gives the appropriate resistance, when tested. Is it possible that i have the two coolant lines switched around? Will that even matter? I read somewhere that, having the lines switched is the same as doing the cooalnt bypass which will give the same problem I have. Any ideas would be great because this is driving me crazy now that its freezing outside.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

i had a problem with a faulty iac and finally just replaced it. in the meantime you can overide the iac by overcompensating with the idle adjustment screw. it sounds like you valve is stuck closed. a good way to check this is to run the a/c and see if it bogs down when the compressor kicks on. under normal iac operating conditions your rpms should go up a little when you run the compressor. if it's stuck any load at idle (compressor, headlights, wipers, hard turns) will bog down the engine. i got my iac for $50 shipped with a guarantee against it being DOA. you might want to check for vacuum leaks also.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I have no vacuum leaks, the motor only has 4k on it since i rebuilt it. also i did not have a problem until going to this new iac that came with my bored tb. The question i need answer, is is possible that crossing the two coolant lines that run to the iac, will give me these symptoms?

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”