What does this sound like to you?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
murdamellz

What does this sound like to you?

Post by murdamellz »

Ok guys, :oops: a little input would be greatly appreciated. So I bought my Mx-3 GS for 400 bucks, it overheated on the owner, and I believe blew a head gasket. It is running on 5 cylinders as of right now, but I actually run it from time to time, at first it didn't start when I bought it, but when it got to my house it starts everytime. I cannot drive this car until I get this issue fixed or swap the engine, but I'm trying to save money. My question is this...Although the car overheated and has been driven since overheating, it did not overheat again since that time, but has run since that time. Would you put some time into figuring out if it is the head gasket, and fix it, or get it fixed, so that you could drive it right now? It's only got 143,000 on the clock; or would you just let it sit there lonely waiting for the KLZE? I'm anxious to drive it, but its got the stock k8 and 5 cylinders, not much fun to be had and I'm far from a mechanic. I drove it down the road when I got it, and even on 5 cylinders it was a blast to drive! I had another post about a possible KLDE engine purchase that I got some input on (thanks by the way) so just gonna see what you guys think about the current engine(fixing it up temporarily) or just putting an out of order sign on her and covering her up. Does it sound like a blown head gasket, or something else? THanks!! 8)
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

When was the last time you did an oil change? It might be time.
What does the old oil look like? Just dirty oil or a milky sludge?
What does the coolant itself look like? I've seen coolant that looked like baby food after a blown head gasket on a DSM.

If everything looks okay there, maybe do a compression check.

I'm not an expert, but I might look at these factors.
Cody
murdamellz

Post by murdamellz »

The oil looks normal, a little thin, but no milky appearance, just smells of fuel. Coolant I have not checked yet. I bought the mazda like a month 1/2 ago, seemed like the guy who had it kept up with maintenance, he gave me all the repair records and such, He was driving it one day and thats when his headgasket blew,(or whatever blew) I think the water pump failed or something. The last repair receipt he had before it blew said that the water pump had a leak and to replace that SOON a long with the timing belt, alternator belt, etc, so I'm gonna assume he didn't take that advice since he left home with 6 cylinders and came back on 5 haha. He said you could smell the gas and the steam was coming from the engine bay and he drove about 30 miles home or so like that , I wasn't there to see it, but since I've had it, I have not been able to emulate that, it just runs rough, and smokes for a good 5 minutes, smells of fuel, and doesn't overheat if you just run it for 20 minutes or less but the hand does rise if you let it run longer than that. It could probably use quite a few things, I know it needs a right axle. Hope I didn't compound the problem a lot more by running it but at that point I was focused on the ZE which could have been dumb of me, but I thought the engine had no chance. I'm not sure how to do a compression test, is that something I could do? Thanks for the replies thus far!
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Well keep looking into it.

I bought an SE with "a warped clutch" that turned out to just need a patch job on the intake, a new fuel filter and a TPS adjustment.
Cody
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If the motor still runs, and doesnt appear to be mixing coolant and oil. I think you could rule out a head gasket. check the coolant to make sure, and also see if you are getting any coolant or oil coming out of your tail pipe while the motor is running. I read your other post, and think you should do all you can to familarize yourself with the k8. Try fixing it even if its over you head cause you will learn alot, and it will make your swap alot easier. Better to make your dumb mistakes on this motor then on a kl. Just my two cents.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
murdamellz

Post by murdamellz »

I'm gonna take you guys' advice and try to work on the K8 for now, while I have it. If I find out its a lost cause, cracked head or something like that, then I won't dump a load of money into it, but I'll fiddle around with it, take some parts off, read some articles and repair manuals, and see what I come out with. I'm interested to know whats really wrong with it, its killing me not knowing!! Since these engines are closely related, it might help to know for future reference. It sounds like its missing badly, and unbalanced. You can smell the gas, but theres no water shooting out of the block or anything that dramatic. I feel bad running it, wondering if there is a chance for the engine to be cheaply fixed so I can keep motivation for the project, nothing like a non running car to down your spirits. :roll:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”