Dead.... but WHY? EDIT: HELP NEEDED

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
PurpleDinosaur

Dead.... but WHY? EDIT: HELP NEEDED

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

History: Had cracked air intake which made the car run uber lean... found this and gave it he temp fix ala monster tape... worked like a champ; car ran great. Drove it home Friday evening. Fast Fwd to Sunday morning... cold and wet. No start.

Having seen a plug wire light show while making the tape fix a week earlier and having the parts on hand I replaced Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs, and Airfilter.

Old Cap and rotor were toast so I was feeling pretty confident I'd be back in business but when I went to fire it up... nothing. It would fire on a random cyclinder but not enough to even think about catching.

Pulled codes.

TPS and EGR - nothing new... they've been there for months and the cars has always run. The new codes were 17 and 24... Feedback loop...

Fuel Pump? Fuel Filter? Injectors?

Any ideas appreciated.

Barney
Last edited by PurpleDinosaur on December 6th, 2007, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 GS SE
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Make sure that the plug wires are according to the proper firing order....
Make sure the fuel pump turns on and you are getting fuel pressure at the injectors...
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

yeah i would also say you may have mixed up the firing order here recheck then report back!,also make sure your plugs are gapped to spec,
torqued to spec,and apply dielectric grease to contacts.. should dot you i's and cross your t's this should eliminate the possibility of error here!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

make sure you have gas pimp.... you'd be surprised....

are you getting spark....

if not might be ignition coil....

check gas line.... pull off one of the lines from fpr and if no gas flows when you crank then you found your problem....

process of elimination.... check sensors... check everything... might even be your battery just completly dead....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Diagramed the wires but I'll double check 'em...

Fuel Pump - I'll do HKS fuel line check tonight...

Plugs - have corect gap but I didn't check for spark... will do tonight.

Gonna add a can of dry gas and 5 gal of fresh fuel just in case thers some water in the lines...

Battery is not dead.

anything else? I've got some time to work on it so the more ideas the better.
93 GS SE
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

How much did you crank the engine over? you might have fouled the spark plugs.

If you dont have spark try replacing the plugs.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

confusion reigns...

Manual show firing order 123456 per 92_B2_003

Cyl arrangement per 92_B2_003

Disty rotates conterclockwise

But manual shows disty post arrangement as

Wouldn't this yield firing order 123546??

To further F me up, my chiltons manual shows same Cyl order and firing order (123456) but shows the disty as

which would give 123645

WTF?

In other news, I have a nice fat spark and the Fuel pump runs when key is turned on... gonna go check for fuel at TB...

and then I may shoot my car...
93 GS SE
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Firing order issue has been resolved - see Tunes Thread in this forum...

So far, changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor... added fresh fuel w/ dry gas... cleared codes and tried to start. No go. No new codes after attempting to start.

NOw checking Fuel pressure / Filter.
93 GS SE
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Check your timing man. And check the timing belt. Especially if the car fired at all with the improper firing order. You should be able to pull out a spark plug and smell for gas to see if there is fuel. And there are sections in the shop manual for testing symptom conditions like this.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

I've got fuel - pulled line to the injector rails and turned key on (I would say cranked engine but with the VAF disconnnected the car did not crank - as if no juice to the started , but cranked fine before I took the airbox / VAF off - normal?) No water in fuel.

I nver had the order order wrong - that was just womething that I got concerned about after looking at the manuals. My order matchs yoursa / the 92 manual.

Timing belt... Can it slip a tooth just trying to start ? The car ran fine, I p[arked and itwould not start a day later.
93 GS SE
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

Okay, that's starting to sound like a ground issue maybe? Your engine should crank with no problems with the VAF disconnected. It wouldn't surprise me if it wouldn't start without it. But no, the VAF shouldn't interfere with the starting system.

You plugged it back in and it cranks? Or is it a permanent problem now?
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Haven't put it back together to try to crank it again since verifying fuel.
93 GS SE
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

TAlked to a shop...

Guy wants $80 for disgnosis which seems reasonable.

Sez $400 labor + parts to replace timing belt if thats what it needs...

Is this a reasonable amount for this repair?

thanks.
93 GS SE
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Depends on your location and the going rates there. Around here that would be slightly on the high side.. but not unreasonable. And there are plenty of shops in this area (including my mazda dealer) that would charge double that.

Its fairly simple to tell if your timing belt has jumped though. Rotate the engine till the line on the crank pulley lines up with the 0 on the timing mark gauge. Then remove the timing belt covers and look to see if both the timing marks of the cam gears are lined up with the timing marks on the heads. I have a pic in the V6 faq forum in my write up about how to change your timing belt that will show you where to see the timing marks. You could also check to see if there is tension on your timing belt at all.. if the belt seems really loose.. likely its your tensioner that went bad on you.. and this seems the most likely since you are still getting spark. If the belt snapped.. the distributor wouldnt turn.. and the ignition system wouldnt be providing spark still.

So in summary.. if you have fuel & spark.. its gotta be timing.. :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”