GS V6 Firing Order

Why does my engine tick? How do I swap? All common V6 questions answered in this archive only forum.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

GS V6 Firing Order

Post by Tunes67 »

Recently there has been some confusion about the firing order of the V6. The shop manual appears to be horribly wrong. I have taken a couple of old pics and after verifying cylinder location, I have numbered the photos below so that everyone can see where the plug wires are supposed to be. This is how my V6 is setup and it runs properly. I used page B2-3 of the 95 workshop manual to determine cylinder location. Page G-29 shows the incorrect firing order on the distributor cap. If someone else has a different order.. please take pics and add it to this thread. Please sticky this thread.

I apologize for the lame pics.. I had to utilize old pics cause my digital camera has gone the way of the dodo bird. Anyway.. hope this clears up some confusion.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

this should go in the faq.

A rule to remember is that cyl number six is next to the disty, Thats how i remember it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Tunes - thansk fro looking into this forme...

The order you show in your pix

Matches the order shown on G29 of the '92 manual.

To further confuse the matter, my Chiltons Manual shows the order as

Which must be wrong.

FWIW, my 93 pattern is the same as what you listed.

Glad I checked my PMs - I was about to try all three a patterns! LOL
93 GS SE
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

The way I always remember it is that the bank near the radiator is all even and firewall side is odds. Then just read from left to right like you're reading anything. As for the disty... just look at the numbers. The cap almost always has them molded from the factory.

Return to “V6 FAQ”