Car is worse after the HEI mod

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Car is worse after the HEI mod

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

My car died the other day and I decided to do the HEI mod thinking the disty was bad.

Before the HEI mod the car would try to start up and would almost turn over but not quite. But it was trying hard. Now after I did the HEI module and Blaster 2 coil install the cars interior lights dim badly and it barely tries to start up at all. Then after not starting I could hear a loud noise coming from the disty (?) that sounds like a fan moving with something in the way hitting it.

I need any suggestions as to what could be wrong here. I really need my car back soon. Thanks everyone.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I may have misunderstood you the first time.. you mean that your engine is not cranking over and when you turn the key the lights all dim dramatically? Turn on your headlights and hit the brake pedal.. do they dim a lot?

Sounds like you have a dead battery.. which is probably a result of a dead alternator. Have you tried jumpstarting the car?

Tunes6
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Also.. if you hear popping in the disty.. you may have an ignition sparking somewhere inside where its not suposed too..

Did you put RTV over the screw head of the power tower?
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Ok first the battery is fine. When I'm not trying to start the car its good. The lights are bright and the radio is good and bright. It only dims ALOT when I try to start it and then they get bright again.

Second I RTVed the screw and the mesh that was with it. I did not unscrew the little metal piece going to the tach signal though, I just ripped the rest of the internal coil out and that was it. Should I maybe unscrew that small metal piece or RTV that?

Also I had a really really hard time getting the other side of the coil wire onto the Blaster 2. It was really really tight and I was thinking maybe I'm missing something but I have no idea? How does a cap on it even do anything anyways??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Is the engine cranking over when you turn the key to the start postion? Does the starter spin the motor? Regardless of how dim things get. We need to clarify some terminology here. Turn over or Crank over both indicate that the engine internals actually move when you turn the ignition key. By saying this...
Before the HEI mod the car would try to start up and would almost turn over but not quite.
This sentence indicates that the starter is somehow failing to turn the engine internals when you turn the key to the start position. Is this what you mean? Or are you trying to indicate that the engine spins but there is no ignition, spark, firing, etc.. going on inside the cylinders?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I'm trying to say the engines spinning but theres no spark. It tries but doesnt get there.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Alright I tried to boost the car and its no help. I can have the lights and radio on and everythings bright. But when I turn the key to try to start the car the whole thing dies out. The radio even loses power and resets the stations and clock.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

It sounds like you have some major draw when you're cranking. Have you verified that there is no spark? Pull a plug wire, attach a plug and put it on a strut tower bolt with the plug grounding, then (without touching it) have somebody crank it and see if you're getting spark. You probably already know how to do this, but in the case that you don't, try it.

It seems like the starter is either drawing too much or for some reason the engine has become too difficult for the starter to turn. . .
Cody
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

When you removed the internal coil.. Did you remove the triangular piece?

One problem I found to be common is that the "Fan" piece inside is part of your crank angle sensor. it has a small hole in it that has to align up with the triangular shaped piece if I remember correctly. If thats off your car will think its WAY out of time and wont spark correctly. Check to see if (no wisecracks) the nipple is in the hole.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

this may sound kinda innocent, but i replaced the rotor on the disty a couple days ago.
Apparently it can fit only two ways: the right way, and the wrong way. It won't start the wrong way, but it does crank. Also check your cap to see if there is any rubbing going on.

You can always do what I did, grab the end of the wire from the blaster two and see if it makes you JUMP for joy. I definitely was getting some kind of spark!

Make sure everything is grounded correctly! I found that both my MX-3's are EXTREMELY picky with grounds. you have to find the right ground or it won't get current at all. Really annoying. My RS wouldn't start at all without proper areas grounded very well. Odd.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

I had a problem similar to this once on my RS. The battery would cut out as soon as i tried to start it. Took me forever to find it but it turned out to be the battery cables. I jiggled the positive line and move the wires around and it fired right up. Basically what superk said about the grounds. Maybe thats something to look at.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Im going to try everything out on Saturday when I got time. Ill let you guys know how it goes then. Thanks everyone.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

lowflyinmx3 wrote:I had a problem similar to this once on my RS. The battery would cut out as soon as i tried to start it. Took me forever to find it but it turned out to be the battery cables. I jiggled the positive line and move the wires around and it fired right up. Basically what superk said about the grounds. Maybe thats something to look at.
Same thing will happen when you have a separated cell in the battery. Good enough connection when the load is small, but when you try to turn the engine it can't do it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
exile84

Post by exile84 »

I had a problem with the HEI mod with an external coil. Did you keep the three pin plug, or did you cut it off? Apparently it has to be cut off and wired straight to the Ignitor. Don't know if this helps, but just thought that I would add.
1992 Mx-3 GS. ATX to MTX swap. Integra short throw shifter, and CAI. HEI mod. Accell Canister. 3A racing muffler. Straight pipe.
ImageImageImage
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I kept it in even though while looking at it I wondered why it would even need to be there anymore. Ill try that also tomorrow.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”