MX3 1.8 V6 Kangarooing Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ShellyD

MX3 1.8 V6 Kangarooing Problem

Post by ShellyD »

I bought a 98 V6 a few weeks ago and it's started kangarooing really badly, to the point I have now renamed it Skippy.

Once the engine is warm it ticks over at 1000, then drops to about 600 and then revs up and down between 600 and up to 650. Then when you go to pull away there's no reponse there and then it kangaroos down the road until you get up to 3rd gear and about 20+ miles an hour. The only way I can mildly control it is be getting the clutch to biting point and then putting the accelerator down until it eventually responds, but still judders a bit. It's not only embarrassing but pretty dangerous, as pulling out of a junction it can just cut out half way in the road. It also conked out on a hill the other day and I only just managed to get up the hill by revving the nuts out of it.

The car had a full service about 120 miles before I go it, so I would assume plugs, filters etc have been changed. But I'll have a look through my paperwork and check that is the case.

Anyone have any ideas what this is and what sort of cost it's likely to be?

Many Thanks
somorecords

Post by somorecords »

my 92 gs has this same problem, however it only does it occassionaly. the best guess i have came to is that i think my MAF (or VAF whatever, the damn air intake part lol) is sticking, the cylinder in the middle was sticking slightly when i spliced it into the new intake but i thought it would straiten itself out, but i guess it hasnt so i was going to take it off today and loosen it up, if it works i will let you know. if it doesent i will go back to the drawing board
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Resolve vacuum leaks, reset IAC in diagnostic mode, stop driving over Kangaroos.
Cody
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

Make sure your intake tube is fastened securely at both ends. Mine was doing pretty much the same thing, I was like what the @#$%&....Finally I noticed the intake tube was coming off. I put it back on and tightened the clamps and that fixed it.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
somorecords

Post by somorecords »

my cousin thinks the problem with mine is the "throttle positioning sensor" or something along those lines, personaly im used to working on carbreuated V8s so all these damn sensors and things are somewhat beyond me but i would suggest checking it out becouse it sounds like you have the same problem as me, and i still havent got to checking my MAF
ShellyD

Post by ShellyD »

Thanks for your responses. I'll check out the air intake etc and see if there is anything wrong there. When I get to the bottom of it I'll let you know as it could help someone else.
ShellyD

Post by ShellyD »

Just to update and close this off. It turned out to be a large split in the air intake duct. Has been taped up for now and runs lovely again. Thanks for the advice
PurpleDinosaur

me too...

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

I'm having the same problem... it either bucks like a bornco or I have to launch so hard that I get wheel hop...

Just posting because I' grateful that this post "just happened" to be at the top ... I was anticipating a lengthy search session...
93 GS SE
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I notice we most seem to have this problem in winter.. couild be the iac or a bad tps. I think i fixed mine by leaning the fuel mixture and resetting the tps.

I assume its the tps or iac.

can be vac leak tho.

The iac can be removed to clean any deposits it has inside. Mine had alot of crap in there.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

I have the same problem, it was really bad, kangarooing stuck in traffic

Pcv hose loose clamps tightened that up worked fine for a while
happens at odd times but way more less severe
-------------------------------------------------------
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
dubspeed

ignitor

Post by dubspeed »

Does the car die out on you at all, or does it just kick? If it starts dying out of the blue, that could be the IGNITOR...Seems that fix can get expensive...Hope this helps :)
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

no it doesnt die out
and it happens alot less now
but the car feels like....something's holding it back....bad throttle response,and at the same time the brake and clutch doesnt feel as good either when it happens
-------------------------------------------------------
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

My problem was the intake boot... makes sense. MAF sensor tells ecu less air is coming in (because its coming thru the cracks in the boot), ecu backs off the fuel to adjust but theres plenty of Air (from the cracks) therefore the car runs super lean and bucks... at WOT the issue goes away cause the ecu is not doing its thing.

also makes sense that the problem is more sever in the winter since the air is denser which would make the leaning out issue worse.

Check the boot carefully... cracks like to hide on the underside.

Also - in the winter the boot is more brittle making it more likely crack.

just sayin'...

course my ride died after the boot fix and I have no clue now but thats a different issue.
93 GS SE
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

PurpleDinosaur wrote:My problem was the intake boot... makes sense. MAF sensor tells ecu less air is coming in (because its coming thru the cracks in the boot), ecu backs off the fuel to adjust but theres plenty of Air (from the cracks) therefore the car runs super lean and bucks... at WOT the issue goes away cause the ecu is not doing its thing.
Actually, the VAF tells the computer exactly how much air is entering the engine...through the VAF. The problem is that a bunch of air is entering after the VAF. This is the dreaded "unmetered air". So the ECU is not backing off the fuel, it's just delivering the correct amount of fuel for the amount of "metered" air but it doesn't know about the sneaky unmetered air. The end result is a lean mixture, but I'm all about accurate information.

just sayin...
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

wytbishop wrote:
PurpleDinosaur wrote:My problem was the intake boot... makes sense. MAF sensor tells ecu less air is coming in (because its coming thru the cracks in the boot), ecu backs off the fuel to adjust but theres plenty of Air (from the cracks) therefore the car runs super lean and bucks... at WOT the issue goes away cause the ecu is not doing its thing.
Actually, the VAF tells the computer exactly how much air is entering the engine...through the VAF. The problem is that a bunch of air is entering after the VAF. This is the dreaded "unmetered air". So the ECU is not backing off the fuel, it's just delivering the correct amount of fuel for the amount of "metered" air but it doesn't know about the sneaky unmetered air. The end result is a lean mixture, but I'm all about accurate information.

just sayin...
jeebus - split hairs much? :roll: but ya did get me on the corect designation being VAF vs MAF so props 2 u.
93 GS SE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”