Valves cleaned/Idle problem

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cmx3d

Valves cleaned/Idle problem

Post by cmx3d »

Hey yesterday i went to valvoline and got my oil changed and the guy said he knew how fix the idle problem. My car's rpms' had been going past the i guess it is 500 rpms like it was going to shut off. He said he would clean my engine valves and air intake system. He told me that when it was done, that it would idle for awhile then return to normal. So far whenever i'm at a light, the rpms' go up and down and the engine stutters. Has anybody had this done before? and how long before your car went to normal with no bad idling?
cmx3d

Re: Valves cleaned/Idle problem

Post by cmx3d »

Sorry I wasn't really thinking when I posted this, I think it should probally be in the v6 forum. Sorry. So if it should be in the v6 forum, would one of the moderators be so kind as to move it for me? gracias
cmx3d

Post by cmx3d »

Anyone know what it is?
precidiagirl

Post by precidiagirl »

my mx-3 was donig the same thing, it would drop it's idle when I slowed down but wouldn't stall completely. Then it would just wave up and down. After time, it would stall ALL the time. When I took it to a mechanic I found out that the rubber boot that connects the air filter to the engine (I'm not sure what the name of it is), had a BIG split in it. It was allowing air into the engine and it couldn't hold an idle. I hope it helps!! ;)
Holly Ouelette
ssmog

Post by ssmog »

It may very well be your timing, if your timing belt has jump or is even off by one "tooth" it will end up creating that propblem, you might also want to check that you don't have any vacuum leaks. I recently replaced the motor in mine (V6) and had that problem, i hooked and vacuum pressure tester up to it and found I only had 5 inch pounds instead of the required 15 to 17 inch pounds. Replaced all the vacuum lines and the prob. was solved.
Commit yourself to a Psychiatric hospital before the rest your sanity disappears, and you are strapped in a chair, fed mushy peas with a rubber spoon with only your tortured fantasies for comfort....

ssmog
mjlohman

Post by mjlohman »

Mine turned out to be the darn EGR valve.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

The most common IDLE issues with mx3s

are

1) the ribbed intake tubing has a crack between the air filter and the Throttle body.(replacement costs bout 50 bucks

2) egr is dirty and is stuck open position so vaccum is erratic causing idle problems.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by ssmog:
It may very well be your timing, if your timing belt has jump or is even off by one "tooth" it will end up creating that propblem,
It didn't when I did my belt, and one cam was off by a couple teeth. IT just sounded raspy. But it idled fine.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”