Losing oil?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dalur

Losing oil?

Post by Dalur »

since I have owned my 92 mx-3 GS I have had to add oil. It isn't on the ground and doesn't appear to be getting into the coolant. The only other place it can be going is out the pipe, I'm not seening any clouds of blue behind me so I have to ask does this motor burn oil normally? I have heard of some that burn oil normally would the stock v-6 in a Mx-3 be like this? I just keep adding oil until the problem develops more, in the mean time I'm looking for advice, confirmation or this issue.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Every engine does burn some oil by design. The crankcase is vented back to the intake to reduce pressure in the case and some oil will always be lost that way. Beyond that, if the milage on your 92' is anything like the milage on my 94', I think you'd expect some oil to blow by the rings and be burned. If it's slight, you might not notice alot of smoke. I know with my own, if I let it warm up without loading it at all, there is no noticeable smoke, but if I start it in the cold and drive away, even carefully, it is noticeable. I lose a liter every other fill up or so.

If it's going down fast and you see no evidence of a leak, it could only be leaking under load...but that would be pretty unusual I would think.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

On top of what wytbishop is saying.. catalytic converters burn off excess oil vapor that makes its way out the exaust. So if your oil burning is only slight.. your cat will burn it off and you'll never see the smoke. When your cat starts to be less efficient.. blue smoke will become more visible out your tail pipe. This visual sign of oil burning can also be seen if more oil vapor is being exausted out than the cat can handle. Usually its this excess oil vapor that kills most catalytic converters prematurely (clogs them up with carbon).

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

Thanks for the info. I've got about 230 k for mileage, I'm probably burning the same as Wytbishop. I was just wondering if this was something I needed to worry about right away or it can wait. Sounds like it can wait a while.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

As long as you keep your oil clean and keep adding it when it needs it.. you can wait as long as you want.. but if I was in your shoes.. I'd keep my eye out for a good deal on a newer motor if you can.. Just prudent ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Tunes is right...I have been looking for a motor for spring. I plan to carefully guide my K8 through winter and then DE swap it as soon as the weather breaks.

Watch your oil level carefully as well. It'll tend to get much worse, very suddenly as stuff starts to wear faster and faster.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

its a K8 they all burn oil.My old k8 burn' so much oil oh my god it was funny. I swear that thing ran best on 50/50 fuel and oil mixture.LOL I drove to Niagara falls with no oil, then home then to Toronto and back...LOL...Beleive it or not I tried to kill that engine and it just wouldn't go..Even banging off rev limiter with no oil and it still ran when I did the klze swap..
teribble

Post by teribble »

Yah thats one thing i hate about the klze and k8 they all burn oil!! even a new one. my old ze would burn a quart about ever 200 miles that sucked that was the end of the motor!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

A good klze won't burn oil. had one that was next to new. Thing never burn't a drop.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Just replace piston rings and valve seals.. That's what I did with my K8.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

my millenia ze/de whatever its called... did burn any oil before boost.. none whatsoever.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
somorecords

Post by somorecords »

mines burnin it more than gas, but im thinkin its just bad valves...thanksgiving day i had it full, 3 days and 50 miles later i couldnt find any on the dipstick when i got off work
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

somorecords wrote: mines burnin it more than gas, but im thinkin its just bad valves...thanksgiving day i had it full, 3 days and 50 miles later i couldnt find any on the dipstick when i got off work
Thats nbot good. Are you just driving normaly or have you been bouncing it off the rev limiter and driving like u stole it?
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

my old
92 burned about a cup of oil every 2 days and this car ran awesome,just make sure you regularly top it up and you could run 10w 30 all the time as this is thicker and will have better burn off than 5w 30 and you wont have to use as much oil..
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
crammia

Losing oil?

Post by crammia »

my GS 94 was burning oil as well, put in Ring Seal around every 1,000 miles and it seems to be doing the trick. I put in half the recommended amount each time and see how she goes.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”