Help installing headliner, please.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Help installing headliner, please.

Post by OROutdoors »

I need help with installing a headliner. I recently bought mx3grlsikride's interior. It has a vinyl wrapped headliner. I think I understand the desired end result -- the edges of the headliner should be on the outside of the tabe whcih the trim secures into, but inside the taller tabs. Or maybe the headliner goes behind the taller tabs. As I understand it, you open the hatch and slide it in from the rear. [hmm...]

When I try this, and allign the leadingedge of the headliner on one side, the other side is about 2 inces too wide. I can't see how to compress the headliner to fit the opening. I know the headliner must go behind the tabs, at least one set, because that is where the trim goes. Any suggestions from someone who has replaced their headliner before?

Thanks, OROutdoors
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

the headliners from the 92-93 are smaller than those from the 94+... remember the 94+ don't have A pillars that connect with the B pillars...

is this the case with yours?
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Mooneggs wrote:the headliners from the 92-93 are smaller than those from the 94+... remember the 94+ don't have A pillars that connect with the B pillars...

is this the case with yours?
Hmmm... I didn't know that 92/3 was a different size as 94/5, but I think it doesn't apply to this case since my car is a 1992, and the car I got the headliner from was a 1993, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/438318/6

But, you what you say makes me think I don't understand A and B pillars... I though the A pillar is between the side window and the windshield; and the B pillar is between the side window and the rear window. So, how do the pillars connect to eachother?
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

When I converted my Seatbelts to the manual Belts, I also had to convert the A & B Pilar trim and Headliner to the ones from the car with Manual Belts. (one because I could since I had the parts car-- but two because that way I did nt have to drill holes or jack up my other stuff and then have the tracks showing from the seatbelts)

mx-3girl was from canada, Right? You are in Oregon? If so, then She had the Manual Belts and you have the Auto Belts since your car was USDM.

The headliner from the car with manual belts will not fit right in the auto belt car unless you also use the Pillar trims from the manual belt car.

Otherwise, it all still mounts the same as far as the tabs it connects to in the roof.

The headliner from the Manual belt car used the same tabs as the headliner from my auto belt car.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

the easiest way to install the headliner is to have all the pillars off. which means you probably will have to take off the lower b pillars that form armrests for the backseat.

there is a chance you will bend or crack the headliner if you try and cram it in behind the pillars. I'm still confused on how you have an extra 2 inches...

pics?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

The 2 extra inches are due to that headliner coming from a Manual Belt car.

Seriously.
~Perry
Please visit
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Well, the resolution seems obvious. I need to use another headliner -- for an automatic seatbelt car -- as a template to trim this one down to size. I sure hope I don't mess this up.
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

OROutdoors wrote:Well, the resolution seems obvious. I need to use another headliner -- for an automatic seatbelt car -- as a template to trim this one down to size. I sure hope I don't mess this up.
no you don't... I did mine and it turned out fine - just fit it in the car and estimate... do a little at a time if you are unsure... like 1/4 inch on each side until it fits you know?

sorry perry, I misread your post... yes I am sure it came from a manual belt car also.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Well good luck on that one.

I would just see if I could find some A & B Pillar trim and do the manual belt conversion at the same time!
~Perry
Please visit
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

i put a manual belt headliner into my car with auto belts. i basically took off all of the trim that touches the roof in any way. then, i basically lined up as much stuff as i could and anchored it into place by reattaching everything in the front and then clipping it in in the back. then i found where the trim clipped in and made cuts along both sides with a utility knife just outside where the trim popped in. the closer you cut to the clips the better, because after the trim is clipped in it'll cover any uneveness. so basically just cut as close to the trim clip spots as possible.

Return to “Appearance”