Help with installing HID XENON conversion kit

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
duaux

Help with installing HID XENON conversion kit

Post by duaux »

I have just purchased the following HID XENON kit and would like some directions on how to mount and install please.

9004 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit

I do not wish that this post becomes a Projector vs. XENON vs. Reflector discussion… Or how I may have made the wrong choice in going this route…

I would only like some help/direction on how to properly mount/install my kit.
If it is best that I pay someone to do this for me (mechanic, electrician, etc.); please recommend a place in the Toronto area.

My goal is to achieve better visibility, not for the looks. The current Silverstar Ultra’s are not cutting it for me.

Thanks.

***Steps I believe that are required:

1. Disable DRL, I am aware that I will have to turn on my lights each time I drive. I live in Canada. – Complete
2. Locate an area both on the left and right side to mount the device – STUCK
I have reviewed the online manual.
However I am having difficulty with locating it in the engine…
3. Locating the ground in the engine – STUCK
4. Locating the positive lead to the battery - STUCK
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have removed the windshield washer fluid to put the ballast on the passenger side and I have moved alot of stuff around on the driver's side... I just grounded mine to the chassis... it was plug and play for me... I have some pics in my slow car worklog...

you are going to like those lights - they are the best upgrade for the mx-3 lighting IMO... :D
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I like my 6000k lights as well. I put my drivers side ballast on the frame rail where the overflow was and the passenger on sideways between the cruise and the washer fluid tank (tight fit). Other then that it is plug and play cause you plug the harness into the ballast plug

Not sure what the dround is for, guessing u have a hi/low kit. On the passenger side there is a ground wire under on of the nuts for the motor mount.. On the drivers side there is on coming from the tranny to frame rail that is above where my ballast is.
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

Totally agree. I have a 4300K kit, and the hardest part of the install is finding a place to mount the ballasts. Drivers side I used plastic wire ties, and attched it to the A/C hard line. On the passangers side I mounted it off the upper rad support right beside the headlight. And I love the output of HID's over stock.
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duaux

Post by duaux »

Thank you for the input guys.

Solo_ryder: It is just a regular low beam kit, no hi beam. I believe the hi/low kits are called bi-xenon? Please correct it I am wrong.

lowridah313: I actually went out and bought extra cable ties just in case the ones that came with the kit ran out.

All: They are both really good ideas, I guess this thread will also help other searches. I also talked with a mechanic and he recommended that I just drill some holes to properly mount the ballast with a screw. My ballast comes with "screw holes" for mounting.

I am planning...

right/passenger side:
drill two holes above the winshield washer fluid

left/driver side:
there is a "thin metal" running upwards off of the fuse box, I was planning on drilling 1 hole below and utilize the hole already at the top of the "thin metal"

Two more questions:
1. Does this sound realistic/reasonable/danger/damages?
2. What does "positive lead to battery" mean? This is being asked by the instruction manual (below). I am assuming that it needs to go to positive current on the battery?

For anyone who is interested, the manual from my kit can be found here:
http://www.xenondepot.com/images/Manualls/xtrmman.pdf
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

its a ow HID and high halogen, so its not a true bi-xenon kit like you can get for a h4 bulb. as for your kit, i dont really understand it, doesnt loo as plug and play as mine...
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

His draws power off the battery, not the stock harness. It uses the stock connector as a switch for the relay.
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duaux

Post by duaux »

Interesting... I should give those calls a call at xenon depot for some clarifications.

As for my installation, I may have to wait a couple weeks as I am preparing for my exams.

Thanks guys.

Will update my progress as soon as I get the chance.
Hopefully I can borrow a digicam and post some pics.
duaux

Post by duaux »

Just AMAZING!!!

First off, I would like to thank Mooneggs, solo_ryder, and lowridah313 for replying and giving some feedback.

I just finished installing them and tested it after xmas eve mass. Sorry for the late reply, but I was plagued with exams and work.

For all those who are still deciding what they want to do (get xenon/not get them) read on.

1. My *new XENON lights are amazing... I had Silverstar Ultra's before and they are day and night difference. I did not expect it to be such a big improvement.

2. Downsides, you will need alot of planning and patience.

3. I would not have been able to do it by myself without the help of my gf's uncle (he is a mechanic). Im a office boy and not a "handy man", so the difficulty for me was the mounting, location of the mounts to take place, etc. So although the kit is a "plug n play" kit, it still requires a substantial amount of time to get everything installed properly without having loose ends hanging all over the place.

We did a dry run first (hooking everything up and powering up to see if things worked...) we actually mounted everything.

I highly recomend those who are considering it only if they have time to spare and has all the tools, etc.

I took approximately 2 1/2 Hrs.

I did not take any pictures yet, but I will tomorrow.

In the mean time, can someone direct me on how I can post the pictures on this forum? Or do I need to upload them somewhere else and link them?

Thank you guys!

Merry XMAS and have a safe and happy holiday 2007 season!!!
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

I installed an ebay bi-xenon (9004-3) kit last week - took me a grand total of 15 minutes from start to finish......
duaux

Post by duaux »

shameenm: so in total it cost you $1000 and it took 15 minutes to install? Thats pretty darn good. Can you post some pictures on how it looks? I am assuming it came in a different enclosure with some rewiring work required?

EDIT: I just ebay'd around and there seems to be a company called EFX that makes some bi-xenon kits. It pictures a single bulb that is bi-xenon. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought bi-xenon's requied a xenon bulb and a regular hologen bulb?

xenon for low beam
hologen for DRL and high beam

?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

didnt cost me $1000 - cost me $120 including shipping.

Its a single bulb bi-xenon - the bulb physically moves upward for the high beam.

The 9004-2 type has two bulbs - one for high and another for low beam.

The 9004-3 has one bulb that moves up and down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-BI-X ... enameZWDVW
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

shameem wrote:didnt cost me $1000 - cost me $120 including shipping.

Its a single bulb bi-xenon - the bulb physically moves upward for the high beam.

The 9004-2 type has two bulbs - one for high and another for low beam.

The 9004-3 has one bulb that moves up and down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-BI-X ... enameZWDVW
I've been looking for a good telescoping H4 kit for a while... what do you think of this one you bought? does it work ok? can you tell a difference between hi and lo?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Mooneggs wrote:I've been looking for a good telescoping H4 kit for a while... what do you think of this one you bought? does it work ok? can you tell a difference between hi and lo?
Yes it works very good - i can definitely tell the difference between hi/lo - when i had the normal bulbs -if i "high" beam idiots on a one lane road they dont bother to dim their lights - now they do - this has earned me some respect during night time driving. I am going to clean my lenses today to see if i can get them even brighter....

Overall i am happy with this kit - although there is an annoying flicker when i first turn on the lights.
duaux

Post by duaux »

shameem: you kit seems pretty good! if only i knew about it before i bought mine. Oh well, I am still very happy with mine :)

BTW - I believe the flicker is "normal" during startup becauase of the ballast. <- Someone please correct if I am wrong.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”