Replacing Throttle Cable.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Replacing Throttle Cable.

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, as luck would have it, the doing some last minute stuff things go wrong before the car show. Put in my new valve covers and IM w/outlaw spacers and go to fire up the car, car runs great, better than before, but the throttle cable is tight, it gets stuck. I got the whole thing unclipped and it feels like there's a part in the middle of the cable thats rubbing, maybe the metal sheith around it, but regardless, I think I need a new throttle cable.

I've got it all unclipped, but I dont know how to, and what to do around the part on the firewall to get the cable completely out. I'll need to know this info if I can't find a replacement new cable anywhere and will have to go to the wreckers...so how do you completely remove the throttle cable from the firewall? i can't find anything in Mitchell, Chilton or the Online Shop Manual about it....I've heard that Mx-6/Probe cables work, I can use one of those if I can't get an Mx-3 one? How about 4cyl Mx-3's or Protege/323, do they work too?
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on November 16th, 2007, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got a long flat head screw driver. and popped it out. you can break the current one, the new one will clip on. Also pops put. I had a hell of a time the first time i did it. All you need is a large flat head screw driver, Thick by the way. Use a hammer from the isude to pop it out. You need to undo it from the accelerator pedal too.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

It just pulls out of the firewall once its unclipped from the gas pedal. well at least mine.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thanks for the info guys! No one had any new in stock, so I went to the wreckers and pulled one out. Did the trick, thanks again!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

I had a problem with that cable. Because it's laying on the damn engine it heats up and destroys the inside of the rubber that the cable rubs against. Mine's a '93, so after 15 years the cable was dead and causing the throttle to stick. I had an overheating problem because of it for some time before finally manually examining the throttle. Disconnect the cable and spray lube, I use silicone, down the cable into the rubber and it won't happen any more. Now my problem is with the throttle cable to the tranny. Someone tied a damn knot in it to take up the slack and the car has never shifted right. That ATX cable is very important for good shifting, but I'm sure they're going to hand my butt to me on the bill to fix it.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”