My new 92 RS

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
zombiechow

My new 92 RS

Post by zombiechow »

Hey guys here it is. My "new" project. She's a '92 RS with the 4cyl 1.6 but not sure if it is the SOHC or the DOHC. Can anyone tell from the pictures? Well she's in pretty good shape.

How ever it does look better like this lol.
Seems to run solid. It only has 76,7xx right now so it should hold up until i can save up enough to get some real performance in there.

Not sure if I'll put a turbo 4cyl or go for the all so popular ZE. It'll be a good sum of money either way. As for right now I am not sure what to do first.

The bumper is loose and hanging on both sides but is secure in the front. Looks like where it was attached has broken so I will have to probably use a nut and bolt for now to keep it intact.

Those rusty wiper arms are coming off tomorrow and will get a sanding and fresh paint. Am also painting the plastic plate that runs underneath. (not sure what it's called). So maybe i'll post an FAQ...will look to see if it's been done.

The body itself will need some work and the paint job is shoddy at best but I got a good deal on it and as long as she keeps me on the road i'll do my best to make her presentable again lol.

poor bumper.

See how the interior is not so great. Debating on getting it reupholstered or getting new seats. Seats are expensive and from what I've read a lot of time you have to have them installed/brackets modified by a professional. Plan on redoing most the interior but will most likely leave the dash etc. black as stock. Also going to install a new steering wheel asap. Can anyone tell me what the advantage is to having a MOMO or SPARCO wheel as opposed to something like a GRANT? Is it quality of the materials? Actual performance?

Can anyone tell me if it's the DOHC or SOHC?

Well what do you guys think? I will keep ya updated on whatever projects I take on with this one.

Right now my biggest concern is the gas pedal has been sticking. I lubed it all up from the spring to the cable in as many places as I could reach as well as adjusting the tension on the throttle cable and it hasn't done it again so far but I think I will go ahead and replace the cable incase it has frayed in the inside.

Well thanks guys and let me know what ya think. :)
Last edited by zombiechow on November 10th, 2007, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

The 1992 should be SOHC, unless a swap was done...
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Two things about that engine say SOHC. The fact that it says 8-valve (2 valves per cylinder) whereas a DOHC would have 16 valves (4 valves per cylinder). Also, the small size of the valve cover verifies that there's only one camshaft in there.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

it actually does say 16 valve just tough to see with the flash.

Still think it's probably the SHOC? It's peppy for 88 hp lol. Ah there's probably not too much you can do for temp performance with this one huh? Definately will have to do an engine swap.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by zombiechow on November 10th, 2007, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Its a SOHC. 92-93 were SOHC (88 hp) and 94+ were DOHC (105 hp). You'll be better off doing a bp swap and then going from there. Look around the 4cyl section, escpecially the FAQ. most anything you need has been answered in previous post. Congrats on the ride.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

More than 2 valves per clylinder is usually realized with more than one camshaft. On the other hand, having more than one camshaft does not necessarily mean that you have more than 2 valves per cylinder.

I was always under the impression that the SOHC B6 only had 8 valves. But that definately doesn't look like the DOHC B6.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sel me your rear mudflaps!
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

something funky happened with my picture host so I got another one. Pics work now. Sorry the flaps are about the only nice feature on the car lol.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I was always under the impression that the SOHC B6 only had 8 valves.
Thats definitely a stock SOHC B6 engine. I saw one at a local junkyard with the valve cover off.. The cam is wild in those things.. and they are still a 16 valve head too. Now.. there are 323 SOHC engines (and maybe in other older mazda cars like the GLCs for example) that DO have only 8 valves total. But all the MX-3 B6 engines were 16 Valves.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

thanks for the info. :) go 88hp go.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”