21.5 mpg with ZE. What to do?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Tunes67 wrote:I think if my mileage was that far off from norm.. I'd try swapping out VAF's. Or at least check the shop manual and see if there is a test you can do on the VAF. My gut says that the VAF is telling the ECU there is more air present than there is so the ECU is juicing more fuel because of the erroneous reading. Dunno if this is correct or not.. but something to check if you can.

Tunes67
Will look into that as well, thanks.
hharb

Post by hharb »

i never said 30 city... i was a little exaggerating but ive gotten well over 28 before, thats mixed driving. you should be able to do at least 25 on a ze... if you have the wrong vaf or ecu thats gonna make great difference. also a bad fuel filter is a big issue. Also i found this info from this website. according to this data i dont see a reason why a ze wouldnt be able to do a good 25mpg

Manual transmission: GS city: 10.7 L/100 km (26 mpg) highway:7.7 L/100 km (37 mpg)
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

umcamara wrote:Transport Canada Fuel Economy ratings:

Mx-3 GS (K8 MTX) - 26 MPG City, 37 MPG Highway

I'm not sure how having the KLZE affects these numbers. Shouldn't you always use above 91 octane with a ZE??
37mpg on highway is tooo good. I never got that high in 6yrs+ I have
had of my GS K8 motor. I have been driving on a very hilly town,
up and down and stop and go. My city MPG is always around 20-21mpg.
Highway is about 29-31mpg depending on how fast I drive.

I think my car is normal and in good shape.
ken
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

Mooneggs wrote:
hharb wrote:it's kinda obvious... change your fuel filter, ur plugs and wires, maybe tour o2 sensors and clean up your injection system and ull be doing much better
I agree...

man people keep telling me to get a probinator chipped K8 ECU and that my kl-36 runs too rich but I am getting about 25 MPG on average with it and I run the crap out of my car daily... so what's the deal here?
how much it costs to get a probinator chipped K8 ECU?? what benefits
would we get? more power? better mpg? thanks.

mooneggs, I respect your love on this car,,,,read quite some of
your car process thread. :)
ken
hharb

Post by hharb »

probinator chips cost $65 i believe, and u have to install it on a k8 ecu, it's a very tedious process, but worth the trouble. depending on what ecu vaf combo you're running now, u maybe running too rich or chocking on air, in most cases you're probably doing both, so air/fuel mixture might not be the best, also your vris might not be set properly. in the case of a k8 ecu, u will be running rich because the k8 ecus is programmed for smaller injectors, also the vris points are not properly set, with a probe ecu, there are no vris point setup and your engine might not be getting the air when it needs it. so u will gain both hp and gas mileage. also the data i supplied in my previous post is from mx-3.com, and is for a new gs, so nobody should expect their car to run that good, but i only provided it to show that a ze should be able to do 25mpg without any issues.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

hharb wrote:probinator chips cost $65 i believe.
I think I paid $40 or $45, including shipping. Ryan's guy can also install the chip for an extra $25, if you ship him your ECU.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

mmmx3 wrote:mooneggs, I respect your love on this car,,,,read quite some of your car process thread. :)
thank you sir! Image
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Mooneggs wrote:
mmmx3 wrote:mooneggs, I respect your love on this car,,,,read quite some of your car process thread. :)
thank you sir! Image
he's a good guy but kinda overkill with his massive obbsession.lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

i just figured out i get 17.6 mpg......jeeze

i have gotten 35.7 mpg when i drove to california in it which would be 600 km's on one tank that was with my k8 and that was of course b4 i blew it up!

does anyone know how to get a probinator chip

i tried emailing him but he hasnt answered yet......
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
bloodred

Post by bloodred »

i notice that canadians are consistently getting better numbers than the americans here. could this be because the canadians are using british gallons (4.5l) whereas the americans are using us gallons (3.8l)?

for reference: i'm getting 31mpg (british gallons) from a stock JDM K8-ZE combined city/highway. i drive relatively carefully, and never use the aircon.
1991 Eunos Presso (JDM)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Could be. If that's the case, then yeah, I'm getting 26 mpg in British gallons.
hharb

Post by hharb »

yeah now im all confused lol, let's just say i get 9 l/100km, and i have gotten lower numbers before. now it's a little hard to find out since everytime i go for a drive i have to warm my car up for 7mins...
o4_boyracer_no1_o5

mpg

Post by o4_boyracer_no1_o5 »

something ive noticed as well that use have all forgotten about mpg if you have high mileage changing the gear box oil will help the engine run smoother with renewing the minerals in the oil....full protection once again with the easiness of slipping into gears.....did it with mines made a big difference
teribble

Post by teribble »

I'm getting about 22 all around. Doesn't really matter how i drive.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

wow!! thats tons better then my ze!! im getting only 10-15 but then again my car never warms up so... maybe a new thermostat may be in order for me
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”